Friday, November 23, 2018

Friday Funnies

Hi,

The temps today reached the mid 80s, which has been our norm lately.  Now we’re looking for rain.  Funny how a few weeks ago I was wishing the rain would go away and now it would be refreshing.

The ‘Zany Day’ song was “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” by The Beatles.  Joe Cocker also has a soulful version of this tune.  Now it’s time for an ‘Old School Friday’ song.  This 1958 ballad is by two Rock-a-Billy brothers who had many hits.  “When I want you in my arms, when I want you and all your charms, whenever I want you, __ __ __ __ __ __ __.”  Hint:  Involves something that usually happens while sleeping, but not necessarily. 

The official night of Loy Krathong was a giant party.  We could hear the whole thing from our house.  The noise level was up a few notches from previous nights and there were a lot more fireworks.  Tonight it doesn’t seem to be as loud.  For us, that’s a good thing.  One of the drawbacks of this popular, tradition is the amount of leftovers.  In Bangkok, workers collected over 800,000 krathongs by the morning after.  The use of foam has gone way down and most of the other materials are degradable.  In smaller communities this is not a major problem.  The Kok river, which runs though Chiang Rai, has several places where the krathongs can be collected.  Now I’m curious to know if this happens, or do they just continue down river until they fall apart?

This morning we went to Overbrook Hospital.  I wanted to get an X-ray of my back before going to Chiang Mai.  Our friend Nurse Pay put me with a different doctor and we had a good consultation.  He explained three possible courses of treatment and we started with a different PT routine and an MRI in the afternoon.  He is the team doctor for the Chiang Rai United Football team so I’m hoping he’ll fix me up so I can get back in the game (555).  At the PT, two new terms came up: laser and traction.  What?  The ‘laser’ related to a different type of ultrasound, and the traction was just that.  They tugged on me with a slow machine, relieving the pressure on my back, or so they thought.  When it was over, I felt horrible.  The MRI was everything I’d heard about, but it didn’t freak me out.  I was ready.  The time went by quickly and I managed to play with the crazy sounds and have a few daydreams.  I don’t want to do it again though.  Monday we’ll review the results and plot the course of action.  Meanwhile, it’s more of the same: major pain when changing positions.  Maybe the new meds will make a difference.

One of the interesting things that happens at Overbrook Hospital is the mid-day music happenings.  Today’s photo shows a group of local ‘senior’ musicians playing in the garden area.  The woman in the middle of the photo was playing bells and singing lead.  


Yesterday we didn’t have a turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, but Natcha made us a favorite consisting of roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and peas.  In the past, we could get Butterball turkey breast from the States, but their importation is not allowed anymore.  When we make our Winter Visit next month, turkey will be involved (555).

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.   It’s time for the ‘Funnies’.   This weekend is the last Formula 1 race of the season, coming from Abu Dhabi.  Zoom!

                   Peace,
                             Danny


No comments: