Monday, July 23, 2018

Credit

Hi,

The rainy season is in full effect.  While we were in Nan, Chiang Rai had rain every day.  The whole week has a forecast for rain.  

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Talk To Me” by Little Willie John.  Sorry you all missed that one.  Here’s an ‘Easy Monday’ song you probably know:  “Though I’ve tried before to tell her of the feelings I have for her in my heart.  Every time that I come near her, I just lose my nerve as I’ve done from the start.  __ __ __ __ __ __ __, everything she do just turns me on.  Even though my life before was tragic, now I know my love for her goes on.”
Hint:  The group had an arresting quality.  

Saturday morning we met with Katai and Towan in Nan and went to their favorite coffee place.  It’s part of the Amazon Cafe chain (no relation to the shopping thing).  They were right about the coffee, really good.  Across the street was a temple that is one of the big attractions in Nan.  There is a mural on the inside wall that depicts the history of Nan and is approximately 150 years old.  One panel shows a man whispering to a woman.  This has become a very famous painting in it’s own right.  We had seen it before, and we saw it all around town.  

Our next stop was the Nan branch of their tractor store.  Of course, I had to climb up and get a feel for this iconic vehicle that is such a major part of farm life here.  


We had to be at the gallery at 5pm, which meant leaving the hotel at 4:30.  It would be a day without a nap (555).  Most of the artists arrived early, so there was time to hang out, look at each others’ work and relax before the opening.  It turned out to be a wonderful experience.  There was no usual ‘presenter’, so one of the women introduced each artist and made a brief, descriptive comment about their work.  Lots of photos were taken and then the ribbon was cut.  Guest kept arriving and by the time we left, there was a substantial audience, considering where we were.  Nan is a rather isolated town, but between friends and relatives of the 25 women artists, the room was full of conversation.  There was also live music in the form of a local couple who both played acoustic guitar and sang.  The rain began as we made our exit, and it continued to pour all night.

There is a thing about goats in Nan.  I don’t know what it is, but there is a connection.  At the gallery there is a large sculpture consisting of about 5 goats, and in town we saw another large goat installation.  I couldn’t help bonding with the goats over our goatees (555).


Our drive from Nan to Chiang Rai was non-stop and took 4 hours.  We won’t be doing that again anytime soon, even though I enjoyed the journey and learned a bunch.  

Have a Great Week. 

                  Peace,
                            Danny

“It is amazing what you can
accomplish if you do not care
who gets the credit.”
~Harry S. Truman

No comments: