Friday, December 2, 2016

Friday Funnies

Hi,

I know that some places in the world are having storms, or droughts, or normal winter weather, but here in Chiang Rai is was in 80 degrees today with a slight breeze.  Just reporting what it was like for us.

The ‘Zany Day’ song was “Lola” by The Kinks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU  That brings us to the part where we guess the ‘Old School Friday’ song.  This one is from 1962, and it’s by a woman with many R&B hits.  “Well, I’ve got __ __, and I ain’t ‘shamed.  __ __ and I love them both the same.  Let me tell you ‘bout my first lover.  He’s sweet and kind and he’s mine all mine, treats me good like a lover should and makes me love him, I really, really love him, oh, I love him so and I’ll do ev’rything I can to let him know…”  Hint:  The other guy was the opposite, but that’s not the end of the story.

The song I was reminded of yesterday was ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ by Joni Mitchell:  “They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."

We didn’t leave the house all day.  It was a stay-at-home, productive kind of day.  Lisa worked on a large tribute painting/collage to The King and I started working on recording one of my old tunes.  Deep breaths, read the manual, fight the fear.

This evening we were invited to Rai MaeFarluang for the opening of a photo exhibition.  We didn’t know a lot about it, but the park is a beautiful place to go for no reason at all.  We saw a few people we knew and made some new friends.  The exhibit consisted of photos taken between 1926 and the early 70s, of archeological digs and restorations mostly in Cambodia, Laos and Thailand.  The black and white photos added to the mystic of the events pictured.  The host of the exhibit was a member of the French institute that was documenting the temples and art of ‘Indo-China’.  When he finished his work, rather than returning to France, he stayed in Thailand.  His introduction to the evening was given in Thai, English and French.  We’re pretty sure it was not the same in each language.  

During the exhibit we met a couple who have been in Chiang Rai for eight years.  He’s a American and she is Thai.  We found ourselves deep in conversation and decided to get together in the near future.  

Today’s photo was taken at Rai MaeFarluang.  In the corner of the big courtyard you can see a metal relief sculpture of the ‘Princess Mother’, the late King’s mother.  MaeFarluang means ‘Mother from the Sky’, which was given to her when she arrived by helicopter on Doi Tung to meet the Hill Tribe workers.


Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.       Time for the ‘Funnies’.

                 Peace,
                           Danny


No comments: