Thursday, July 7, 2016

Light

Hi,

The rain has decided that it’s alright to do its thing during the day.  It’s what we call ‘small rain’, but it's still water from the sky.  It means that the yard is getting soggy at times and the areas under the trees gets muddy.  At least the drought is over for us.

Quite a few readers knew the ‘Zany Day’ song on the first try.  Here’s the second verse in case you need to get in the mood:  “A-well my mom and pop a-told me, ‘Son you gotta make some money, if you wanna use the car to go a-ridin’ next Sunday’.  Well, I didn’t go to work, told the boss I was sick, ‘Now you can’t use the car ‘cause you didn’t work a lick.  Sometimes I wonder, what I’m a-gonna do, but there ain’t no cure for the __ __.”  Clue:  That special time of year when a job gets in the way of fun.

On my way to Makro this morning I noticed that progress had been made on the collection of cargo containers that have been set up on a lot north of town.  They were arranged in a fashion that looked like something was coming.  Today I saw sliding glass doors at the end of one of them, and lots of activity in the yard.  There is a unique concept unfolding.  Maybe I can get some photos to share.

I was shopping ‘cone dio’ (alone), armed with lists and it went well.  We seem to be in the season when celery and mango are in short supply.  This has happened before and there’s not much to be done about it.  Things grow when conditions are right for them, not me (555).  When I finished checking out, the clerk sent me to the ‘promotions’ counter where I was due a gift.  My receipt was looked over and the man behind the counter took out a packet of ten, individual laundry detergent portions.  They were the same brand I had bought.  This doesn’t happen often and it’s usually something we don’t use or eat, so this was special (5).   

At a traffic light on the highway there were two men selling jasmine garlands.  I didn’t buy one but thought about how hard it must be to stand on the side of this busy road all day, walking between the cars when the light is red, breathing exhaust for what would amount to a few dollars.  You do what you gotta do sometimes.  

Now that schools are back in session there is less traffic in the mornings.  Passing by the high school near us, the familiar block-long line of motorbikes reminded me of how mobile the young people are.  When I was in high school it was a big deal to have a car.  There weren’t small motorbikes at all.  The times they are a-changin’.  

Today’s photo is another strain of mushroom growing at The Wanderer.  These are amazing looking.


We posted on an expat forum, searching for an electrician.  A reply came from an American who came over this afternoon.  After explaining the problem with lightbulbs turning off on their own, he examined the socket construction and offered a possible solution.  During the course of our visit I learned that he’s from Chicago, has built custom lighting, and has two Labrador Retrievers.  

Have a Thrilling Thursday.
 
                  Peace,
                            Danny

"Even in darkness,
it is possible to
create light.”
~Elie Wiesel

No comments: