Monday, December 29, 2014

Listen

Hi,

It was a cold weekend here in California.  If you live in a warm place, please let me know where you are.  I just might come visit.  They tell us it’s cold in Chiang Rai as well.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Please Come Home For Christmas” by Charles Brown.  Click the link to listen:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdNoGtPQ3I   Now it’s time for ‘Easy Monday’, and a song you surely know.
“He came from somewhere back in her long ago.  The sentimental fool didn’t see, trying hard to recreate what had yet to be created, once in her life.  She musters a smile for his nostalgic tale, never coming near what he wanted to say, only to realize it never really was…. __ __ __ __, he sees….”  Clue:  Sometimes the mind plays tricks.

Here’s a question for everyone.  What happened to the first ‘R’ in the word ’Temperature’?  With all the cold weather, we’ve been watching the news, trying to keep up with what’s happening.  All of the TV weather people say ’Tempature’.  

Over the weekend we babysat Peaches and Lola, the little dogs that The Karp family belongs to (555).  They stayed with us because it was so cold.  Even though they both have their own beds, today’s photo shows just how cold it was.


Saturday we had lunch with Paul, Joy and Leilani.  It’s amazing how much a child can grow in six months, and how much older Leilani seems.  During the conversation about what I cannot eat, she chimed in and asked, ‘But what CAN he eat’?  So grown.  What I ended up eating was not very tasty.  I had steamed vegetables and chicken, with literally no seasoning.  If this is any indication of what lies ahead, it may be bye-bye to our favorite Thai restaurants for awhile.    

On a positive note, it turns out that I can successfully eat at Italian restaurants because they use a lot of olive oil.  The idea came from the dish that Anna made for me last week.  

Sunday morning we went to LAX for our flight to Northern California.  The place was packed with travelers and we were right in the thick of it.  After longs lines to check in, and a slight delay in departure, we flew to San Jose Airport.  When we went to pick up our rental car we got a little surprise.  It was an older model of a Toyota Corolla.  I drew this conclusion due to the fact that it had no remote door locks, and 14K miles.  It’s the first time in years that I’ve actually had to put a key in the door handle to get in a car.  Hmm, spoiled by this modern age?  The car runs fine and the heater works.  I guess that’s all that really matters.

We are staying at the Zen Motel in Palo Alto, and we had a funny thing happen.  I turned on the TV and the DirectTV was not connected.  When I tried to call the desk, the phone didn’t work.  My first comment was, ‘There is no phone or TV, just an illusion.’  Things got fixed and the heater works (555)

Dinner in Menlo Park was great.  We met Lisa’s father Joe, her step-mother Eva, and step-sister Karen Jo at an Italian restaurant they frequent.  The owner came to the table so I could make my dinner request.  They made me grilled chicken with mixed veggies, a baked potato, and a beet/orange salad.  All of it was wonderful.  Now I know what and how to order the next time.  Whew.

Tomorrow morning we have adventures with Joe, meaning breakfast, a visit to the art supply store, and time in his studio looking at his latest works.  Then it’s off to Oakland for lunch with my cousins, then dinner in San Jose with good friends, and the flight back to L.A.  It will be a busy day.

Have a Great Week.

             Peace,
                       Danny

“Listen to your own voice,
your own soul.  Too many people 
listen to the noise of the world
instead of themselves.”
~Leon Brown

No comments: