Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Direction

Hi,

The big event in my life today was an adventure at the DMV.  For someone who hasn't been inside the building in years, it was an almost overwhelming experience.  There was a lot more going on than in our local Chiang Rai office.

The 'Easy Monday' song was "Jumpin' Jack Flash' by The Rolling Stones.  Bravo to those who knew.  'Zany Day' is next, by a zany group of singers.  "One day while I was eating beans at __ __ __, just sittin' diggin' all the scene at __ __ __, a chick came walkin' through the door that I had never seen before.  At least I never saw her down at __ __ __.  And I started shakin', when she sat right down next to me."  Hint:  The three word title is the name of a place.

There seems to be a weird pattern with traveling to America.  I get here and I get a cold.  This morning we got up extra early so I could go to the DMV to renew my driver license, but the idea of standing in a long line in the cold morning air, coughing and blowing my nose was not so appealing.  Anna suggested I go in the early afternoon when it's not so crowded.  That's just what I did and it made a difference.  The line ended just outside the door and I got a number in about 15 minutes.  Then I sat down to wait for the number to be called.  My number was G139 and they were somewhere in the 50s.  Hmm.  I found a seat, put on my headphones and listened to music while playing solitare on my phone.  I also did a lot of 'people watching'.  I really got a taste of the diversity of the west side while sitting there.  Seeing teens with a parent, obviously there to get their first license, brought back memories.  

My number finally came up and I went to the window.  The first thing they wanted was my money.  After I paid the $33, it dawned on me that I hadn't taken the written test yet.  They didn't even know if I'd pass, but they took my money.  Hmm.  Then there was the electronic thumb print, which is a great improvement from the old ink pad days.  After a quick eye exam I was sent to the photo station to have my picture taken.  Again, I still hadn't passed the test.  After my picture they wanted another thumb print, then the woman behind the counter told me to read the test questions twice, and gave me a couple of answers to questions that might be on my test.  Hmm again.  Another line to get the test.  I had studied so I figured that the odds were good I could get 15 out of 18.  Another line after the test.  Then the moment of truth, I got 16 out of 18.  Yea me.  Another thumb print and I was done.  The whole process took 2 1/2 hours, but I'm legal.

Driving around after reading the handbook and taking the test has given me sharper eyes.  I see all the offenses and unsafe driving practices mentioned in the book.  I was giving out mental 'tickets' all the way home.  (555)

Today's photo is of Daku and BamBam waiting for us to come home.  Hang on puppies, it won't be long.  Can you tell we miss them?


It's time for Wacky Wednesday.

                  Peace,
                            Danny

"Seek direction from one who's already there."
~Old Zulu Saying

No comments: