Thursday, January 16, 2014

Character

Hi,

Chiang Rai had fog this morning.  It was gone in a few hours, but it was weird to wake up and not see the fields or the big trees.  Another day, another parade, just to let me know I'm not in Kansas anymore.

It would appear that the 'Zany Day' song is firmly embedded in your minds.  Here's another verse:
"Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.  He said,'I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog.'  I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man.'  He said, 'That's okay boy, won't you feed him when you can."  Clue:  The band recorded this song in a very colorful house.  The title is not in the lyrics.

The big news from the Big Brown House is that we may have sold our car.  In other house news, there was a funeral at a house on the other side of the field, according to Boot, and two of the lantern/balloons landed in our pool, and one in our tree.  There are more of them in the field next door.  What goes up must come down.  So strange to see these gray shapes on the bottom of the pool, like monsters.  Fortunately, the pool guy came yesterday and took them out.

On my way to get the first month service on the van, I followed a caravan of pick-up trucks filled with young women holding signs.  It turned out not to be political but commercial.  They were all holding signs advertising products, but I don't know what they were selling.  First I thought it was an odd sight, but then it hit me that it was a case of shrewd marketing.  A truck filled with pretty young women will get attention, then you read the signs.  The servicing took about 30 minutes and on my way home I saw the trucks in another part of town.  What a way to spend a morning. 

This afternoon, as we drove to the bank, we made a detour when we spotted a political caravan up ahead.  In addition to the 'parades', there were numerous 'sound trucks' with large speakers blaring commercials into the public space.

Today's photo was taken at Central Plaza during an outing with Cat.  As you can see, it's a giant mobile of umbrellas.


It struck me today that driving in Chiang Rai is much slower than in Southern California.  Not only are the streets smaller, there seems to be a slower 'cultural pace'.  

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                Peace,
                          Danny

"The farther behind I leave the past,
the closer I am to forging my own character."
~Isabelle Eberhardt

No comments: