Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Funnies

Hi,

I'm writing to you from Pattaya, Thailand.  Pattaya is south of Bangkok and on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand.  The journey here was long and interesting.  

The 'Zany Day' song was "We Gotta Get You A Woman" by Todd Rundgren.   That just leaves us with one more bit of musical business for this week:  'Old School Friday'.  "I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be, you're gonna give your love to me.  I'm gonna love you night and day.  Well, love is love and __ __ __, well, love is love and __ __ __."  Hint:  The singers group was named after an insect that keeps one awake at night, chirping.

My trip to Pattaya began at Maefarluang Chiang Rai International Airport.  I gave you the whole name because it is actually becoming an international airport, with flights to China several times a week.  Anyway, my flight left around 10am, though I had to be there at 8:45 to check in at the desk.  After an hour in the air we landed at Don Mueng Airport in Bangkok.  There is no direct shuttle bus to Pattaya like there is at the 'Big' airport.  I had to take a local bus to the main bus terminal and then get a bus to Pattaya.  Total travel time on the buses was about 2 hours and 30 minutes.  That does not include the time at the main terminal searching for the departure dock for my bus.  When I went back to the ticket window for better directions the woman told me to follow the people who just bought tickets.  Hmm.  It worked and I found my bus.  I grabbed a seat and then learned that each seat had a number and I was in someone else's seat.  Oh.  

In Pattaya I had to take a pick-up taxi to the hotel.  I'm so glad I don't have to drive in this town.  The streets are crazy, with lots of tourists and expats zipping around on motorbikes, along with the rest of the cars and trucks.  There is a large expat population here so the 'look' is much different from Chiang Rai.  It always looks like High Season with all the non-Thai faces.  

I'm staying at the event hotel and it's the nicest we've been to in six years.  It's on a hill, overlooking the Gulf and there is no city traffic.  This means that the grounds are relatively quiet and the view is spectacular.  Here's what it looked like in the late afternoon.

        The Gulf of Thailand from the 6th Floor

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.   The 'Funnies' relate to my efforts to send this message.

                     Peace,
                                Danny


No comments: