Thursday, February 21, 2013

Difference


Hi,

This was the day that looked like rain, but turned out to be a scorcher.  There are some forecasts that call for "small" rain, but we can't rely on a message like that.  

"Leroy, boy, you're my friend.  You say how and I'll say when.  Come and meet me down the street.  Take a seat, it's my treat, you may not ever get this chance again.  That empty feeling's just about to end... __ __ __ __ __ __, and when we're through with you, we'll get me one too."  Clue:  They have to go find something, or rather someone.

This morning we remembered why we go to Makro early in the morning.  There are no long lines.  It was close to lunch time when we arrived today and the place was busy.  The line we ended up in was actually pretty quick, it just looked intimidating.  It was weird to walk out and not see our car.  Luckily, we parked in an odd spot today and we didn't get lost.  The rental is white and our car is black.  Lots of room for confusion.

On the way home I noticed lots of policemen standing around in front of businesses, on street corners and sitting on walls.  Later, I saw them again as I drove out to New Life.  Something was going on and I was curious.  Hmm.

The drive to New Life was a little strange at one point.  As I approached the intersection where I was hit last week I planned to make sure that the coast was clear before I went through.  The light was green and cars were in front of me so I worried for nothing.  I am driving very cautiously these days.

This afternoon we went to Doi Chaang Coffee.  They had strawberries in a display cooler.  We talked to Kwan and discovered that they are grown without pesticides at a special farm.  We have avoided them up until now because most farmers spray them heavily and it goes right through the thin skin.  We bought a pack and they are delicious.  They also have a new ice cream station in the coffee shop.  We have put in a request for coconut ice cream and I think it may happen.  Yum.

As we made our way home from Doi Chaang, traffic came to a stop on a street that never stops.  It's a 'T' intersection where you just go when there is an opening, which can sometimes be a challenge.  We sat for about 5 minutes and realized that it must be for some kind of caravan of dignitaries.  This happens in Chiang Rai when 'important' people want to move seamlessly from point A to point B.  I could see enough to tell that a Highway Police car went by, then another followed by a police van and then a long procession of silver sedans.  Some kind of delegation was moving from the airport to an unknown location.  That was why the police were lining the street in Ban Mai earlier in the day.  Hmm, and what nefarious deeds were being done while the police sat around?  Doesn't matter I guess.  

There is always something out of the ordinary to see on the streets.  Here is a photo of a man transporting a very large load with his motorbike.  He is actually supporting the load with his left shoulder.  Amazing.

                Large Load Coming Through

Time for me to pack my bags for a weekend in Pattaya.  I'm going to a Recovery convention.  People are coming from all around the world and it should be a very exciting time.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                    Peace,
                               Danny

"The most important thing I have learned over the years is
the difference between taking one's work seriously and
taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative, and the
second disastrous."
~Margaret Fontey


No comments: