Monday, February 25, 2013

Butterfly


Hi,

I'm back from my weekend on the Gulf.  It's good to be home.  It's also good to have fast (for Thailand) consistent internet.

The 'Old School Friday' song was "Not Fade Away", originally recorded by Buddy Holly and The Crickets back in 1957.  Now that's what I call Old School.  Some of you may know the version recorded by The Rolling Stones.  It's time for 'Easy Monday' and one I think you know:  "They called it __ __, but Tuesday is just as bad.  Oh, they called it __ __, but Tuesday, Tuesday is just as bad.  Oh, Wednesday is worse, and Thursday oh so sad...."  Hint:  It's a blues, days of the week are involved and someone is very unhappy.  You know what to do, send me the answer.   

I had a very productive, interesting, stimulating, fun time in Pattaya.  The event was well attended and I made friends with people from all over the world.  It took me eight hours to get home.  I did manage to avoid the city bus this time.  It seems that transportation has not been completely worked out since the reopening of Don Muang Airport as the center for domestic flights.  There is a company based in Bangkok called Bell Travel.  They run a bus service to Pattaya from the international airport, but no service to Don Muang.  I had do the same basic bus ride, but with an easier connection.  On the last leg of the journey on the airport shuttle, the driver missed his exit from the freeway.  He hit the brakes and came to a stop, the assistant got out and waved off traffic while he backed up.  When she got back on the bus they both laughed.  This is how things like this are dealt with.  It defuses embarrassment and shame.  I'm just glad the sun hadn't set.

When I checked in with Air Asia for my flight to Chiang Rai, I was told that it would be delayed about 20 minutes.  It was a little longer and some passengers got a little grumpy.  At the house, the dogs greeted me as if I'd been gone for a month.  It's so nice to be missed.  

Today we drove north to Mae Chan for lunch with our friends Noy and Susan.  This time we didn't get lost and we found their 'farm' without a problem.  They have expanded their hydroponic lettuce operation and now grow tomatoes.  Susan prepared a gourmet lunch that began with homemade pumpkin soup.  Then we had a salad made with the various lettuce they grow.  The main course was baked game hen with rosemary and lemon, and carrots and corn.  It was all so good we couldn't stop eating.  For dessert we had a homemade chocolate cake made without butter or milk.  She made everything so I could enjoy the entire meal.  Oh, there was also raspberry and chocolate syrup for the cake.  Two of their four dogs hung out with us during lunch.  We learned many things during our visit.  We also shared some common tales of Thailand and had some good laughs.  After about 4 hours, it was time to head home before the traffic.

I will leave you with an image I captured at Don Muang Airport.  I don't eat at this place, but I couldn't resist returning the Wai from Ronald.  (555)

                                    Wai Not?

Have a Great Week.

                       Peace,
                                  Danny

"Happiness is like a butterfly.
The more you chase it, the more it will elude you.
But if you turn your attention to other things,
it comes softly and sits on your shoulder."
~Unknown

No comments: