Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Follow


Hi,

One more day and then we begin our 26 hour (door to door) journey to America.  People here think we're headed for warm weather but we have to set them straight.  The daytime and nighttime temps on the Westside of Los Angeles are colder than in Chiang Rai.  Brrr.

The 'Easy Monday' song was "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears.  It 'Zany Day' time again.  Here's another holiday song to get stuck in your head:  "__ __ __ __ __ __, underneath the mistletoe last night.  She didn't see me creep down the stairs to have a peek, she thought I was tucked up in my bedroom fast asleep..."  Hint:  Many have recorded this one, if you can remember the title that's good enough.  What usually happens under the holiday broccoli?

This morning I had my weekly massage.  The first thing Khun Joy said as I arrived was 'Cold?'.  The weather is the talk of the town.  While I was having my massage I thought about what to take on our trip that would keep me warm.  The conclusion was that most of my 'western' clothes would be key in keeping me comfortable.  My 'Thai' clothes tend to be light weight, loose fitting cottons.  I will be wearing thermals on a daily basis while in America.  

This afternoon we went into town to take care of a little T-shirt business.  It was after 4pm and we usually don't go out at that time because the traffic starts to get messy.  Sure enough, it was getting that way.  We met with Khun Natty, picked up a couple of shirts and then slowly made our way home.  Part of the problem today was a parade that was in the pre-staging process.  I had noticed a decorated pick-up truck at one corner.  A few streets were blocked and police were directing traffic.  Hmm, time to go home as directly as possible.  From what we learned later, there was a very large Buddha being installed at one of the temples and this was the reason for the parade.  

This evening we went to Khun Jaffee's house for a going-away party for Justin and Lisa.  He's been managing Le Meridien Resort for two years, but now they're moving to Bangkok to manage a hotel there.  The party was an outdoor pot-luck buffet with a nice variety of food.  The fact that it was outside should tell you something about our early evening temperatures.  We had some really nice visits with many of our friends who also know the guests of honor.  Because it's a relatively small community, we see the same friends at most functions and if someone is new to the circle they are quickly drawn in.  Now we have friends to visit in Bangkok.  

Here's a photo taken last night at dinner.  I must admit, I didn't know that it would be such a crazy looking pic, but the mood was like this throughout the evening.  (555)  


It's time for Wacky Wednesday.

                   Peace,
                              Danny

"If you keep following the pack, you are going to end up
stepping in a lot of what they leave behind!"
~Unknown

No comments: