Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Funnies

Hi,

It's still ridiculously hot here in Chiang Rai. The common greeting these days is 'very hot'. Oh well, not much to do about that. We have a busy weekend coming up, with a dinner, an art show, and a party. Oh, and then there's the F1 GP in Monte Carlo. (Ha)

It should be no surprise to most of you that the song we were working on was "As Time Goes By", as made famous by Sam (Dooley Wilson) in the 1942 film Casablanca. For 'Old School Friday', see if this one loops through your mind over the weekend: "You ask how much I need you, must I explain? I need you, oh my darling, like roses need rain. You ask how long I'll love you, I'll tell you true. Until __ __ __ __ I'll still be loving you." Hint: Another song about the passage of time, first of many ballad hits by a smooth singing artist. 1957.

We spent the morning around the house. Lisa worked on her art and I did some internet investigating. We endured the morning heat as long as we could, and then turned on the air. I don't know how people can live in some of the dwellings here. Of course, they're usually open on at least one side, but the roofs are made of corrugated tin, which just attracts the heat. There's a man who has been working in the field next door, in a long-sleeved shirt. Hmm. It all comes down to adaptation, and insulation I suppose, but I have a hard time wearing anything. (Ha)

This afternoon I traveled into town. Sitting in the traffic was interesting. In the hot weather the motorbikes, and Tuk-Tuks either try to keep moving or turn off the engines at stop lights. You see some bikers stopping before the intersections, waiting under the shade of a tree for the light to change.

My main purpose for going out was to meet with Khun Thoe (sounds like dough), at Sahapaiboon, to talk about rain gutters, and an awning over the patio. We discussed styles, and materials for both projects, and a contractors is coming out on Monday to give us an estimate. I'm hoping to get this work done before the rainy season begins.

I got real brave, and went into the market at 4pm, which is when it gets busy with the food vendors in the street. I entered the area on Post Office street, and was shocked that there was no traffic. I was able to drive right through to a perfect parking place. I had to get Boot a new broom. I got her two for good measure, and got back to the comfort of the car as soon as I could.

Our afternoon swim was almost too hot. We turned on the waterfall and got some cool water flowing into the pool, and it was very pleasant.

Tomorrow evening we're going to dinner with our friend Sutheera, her mother, and her brother. From there we'll go to 9 Gallery for the opening of a new show. The presenter of the show is a Count from Belgium who has been living in Chiang Rai for quite some time, and has done some wonderful things for the art community. I'll tell you more about him next week. Sunday we're going to an afternoon party. Don't forget to set your 'whatever' for the Monte Carlo GP.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd. Now it's time for the 'Funnies'.

Peace,
Danny

New Ticket Technology
A motorist was mailed a picture of his car speeding through an automated radar. A $40 speeding ticket was included. Being cute, he sent the police department a picture of $40. The police responded with another mailed photo-of handcuffs.

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: