Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Commitment

Hi,

It's been a beautiful day here in Chiang Rai. A little cooler, but still warm, and humid. I ran some errands, and we got another lesson in Thai pronunciation. Tonight we get a massage.

Your 'Easy Monday' assignment was to remember "Purple Rain" by Prince and The Revolution. Oh, the hints, and yet many of you didn't get it. Oh, maybe it's because you were singing 'Purpun Rain', Thai style. (555) Here's a hard one:
"__ __ cry every night for you. These arms long to hold you again. The hurtin's on me, yeah, and I will never be free, no, my baby. You gave a promise to me, yeah, an' you broke it, an' you broke it, oh no..." Hint: Can you guess who sang about the windows to the soul?

Yesterday, when Lisa returned from teaching ballet class, she asked me if I knew how to say 'Donald Duck' in Thai. I paused, and had no idea. I'm going to spell it the way you would say it: 'Doughna Duh' (the first syllable is like dough). Practice, there will be a quiz.

This morning I left the house with the plan to get the 10k service on our car. They were booked up until next Tuesday so I made an appointment. Then I went across the highway to Big C to exchange some computer speakers that were faulty. Customer service is always very courteous, and today was no exception. The desk is outside of the store proper, so there's a lot of red tape involved for any exchange. They called someone from the department to come out and complete some forms. At one point, the young woman helping me dropped her pen, and it flipped towards me. She immediately wai'd me, giggled, and retrieved the pen. Inside the store, the unit I had was plugged in so they could hear the weird sound it was making. A new one was opened, tested, and I was on my way.

This morning, at dawn, thousands of Bangkok residents gathered at sites around the city where buildings had been burned, and people died. Along with 1,000 Buddhist monks, Muslim imams, Christian priests, and Hindu faithful, they prayed for peace.

It just might be time for a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
~Margaret Mead

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: