Monday, December 7, 2020

Think

Hi,

We had beautiful weather over the weekend.  The mornings are predictable now, cold to cool, then warm for the day.  We’re going to be in the low 80’s this week.

The ‘Old School Friday Holiday Song’ was “Sleigh Ride” by a host of artists, including Ella Fitzgerald and Johnny Mathis.  ‘Easy Monday’ will be a snap.  It’s my way of getting you to write me (555):  “On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, warm smell of colitas rising up through the air.  Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light.  My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim, I had to stop for the night.  There she stood in the doorway; I heard the mission bell, and I was thinking to myself, ‘This could be Heaven or this could be Hell’.  Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way.  There were voices down the corridor, I thought I heard them say…’Welcome to the __ __ such a lovely place, such a lovely face…”  Hint:  Really?  OK, the title is a place.

Saturday morning we did the early Big C run.  The decorations are up and the holiday spirit seems to be in the air.  It continues to be a fascination to me, how a culture steeped in a dominant belief system can embrace the trappings of another.  It’s just this one holiday, and years ago, when I asked this question I was told, ‘because it’s fun’, referring to the lights, etc.  After shopping, we went to Starbuck’s at Central Plaza Mall.  I didn’t expect to see the crowds that were there for the opening of the doors.  With the current conversations and focus on coronavirus, I thought folks would stay away.  Wrong!  They were lined up when the doors opened and there was a line out of the door at Starbuck’s.  After all, 'we hardly had any cases at all the first time around, they said.'

We’ve been getting into our new watches, learning how they work and trying to figure things out.  Mine has confirmed the erratic nature of my sleeping.  It’s a little weird to know exactly when sleep is light and when it’s heavy, and how long I’m awake.  Eventually, if I follow some of the suggestions, it might change (555).  Like, go to bed earlier.  Really?  Yeah, they’re right.  When you wake up at about the same time every morning, the time for sleep is based on when you start.  Hmm.  See, I told you this would happen.  Anyway, it’s fun.

This morning we met our friend John at Chivit Thamma Da for coffee.  He and JaiDee had their usual extra-warm greeting and we got our usual table.  We were amazed at how many people were streaming into the place at 9:30 on a Monday morning.  Did we miss another holiday?  During the course of our conversations John showed us his new Apple iPhone 12 ‘mini.  Amazing to see a cell phone get smaller.  

Today’s photo is JaiDee and TongTong in their morning ritual, devouring the contents of their Kong toys.  



Have a Great Week and take care of yourself.  

                                 Peace,
                                           Danny

“I’ve always believed that you can think
positive just as well as you can think
negative.”
~James Baldwin 

No comments: