Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Victor

Hi,

For most of our Monday there was a mist that just kept falling.  It was probably rain in some areas, but all we got was mist.  I’m not complaining, I much prefer mist over cold rain.  In Chiang Rai they’ve been having rain.  Maybe it will be over by the time we arrive on Saturday afternoon.  Hmm.

The ‘Easy Monday’ song had a verse that was a real ‘sing-a-long’:  “Day in, day out, my tear stained face pressed against the window pane.  My eyes search the skies, desperately for rain.  ‘Cause raindrops will hide my teardrops, and no one will ever know, that I’m cryin’, cryin’ when I go outside.  To the world outside my tears, I refuse to explain.  Oh, __ __ __ __ __, (Oh, __ __ __ __ __).”  Clue:  The key words are there, the singer desires water from the sky to camouflage his tears.  

We started our day with eye exams.  So much fun, trying to read fuzzy letters, get air puffs in the eye, not to mention flashes of light.  I had joked with Lisa that they were probably going to tell me I need to wear glasses and give up the contacts.  Well, it was kind of a compromise, I’m supposed to share my eyes with regular glasses a couple of days a week, and take the contacts out every night.  What?  That’s not convenient at all (555).  Really, it could have been much worse.  As is stands, the new set of contacts are not the right prescription, at least in one eye, so I have to call and go back.  Lisa’s eyes are great.  

Our lunch venue was Cafe 50’s, a place we used to go to sometimes.  It’s still very popular, and still has that vibe like you entered a time capsule.  A nice thing about the cafe is the various turkey dishes they serve.  We just can’t get turkey in Chiang Rai.  Some ideas just keep on working, and this place is one of them.  

Today’s photo is from our visit back in time.  Dare I say it, reminds me of my childhood.


The next stop on our tour of the town was at Amir Zagross for another round of acupuncture.  In addition to two hours of needle treatment, we both got more education about how to heal our bodies.  Amir is a teacher, so he has a way of giving just enough information that one can absorb it and not feel overwhelmed.  When we get home, I have a project for Gong.  I need a ‘slant board’ so I can gently decompress my body.  I also got, at my request, a detailed report that I can give to the acupuncturist at Overbrook Hospital, so I can continue my treatments.  Things are slowly improving.  Impatient me dealing with the medicine of time.  Key word here is surrender.

One of the more disturbing things we keep encountering is the growing number of tent encampments of homeless people under bridges and overpasses.  Feelings like sadness, guilt, and powerlessness all smash into each other.

While Lisa spent time with ‘The Boys’ and Jeff and Anna, I went to dinner and a meeting with a friend/pen pal.  That’s what I call a full Monday.  Today, Tuesday, should be a little milder.  We’ll see.

Have a Happy Tuesday.

                    Peace,
                              Danny

“You can be a victor without having victims.”
~From a Fortune Cookie

No comments: