Friday, July 21, 2017

Friday Funnies

Hi,

All day long it fell from the sky.  Oh, there were moments of bright sky and dryness, but they were short-lived.  This afternoon there was a major downpour in just one part of town.  ’Tis the season.

The ‘Zany Day’ song that only one person responded to was “Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues”, by Bob Dylan.  It has been covered by a wide variety of artists through the years.  Now for another dose of ‘Old School Friday’.  We’ve done this song before, so it might seem familiar:  “Hear that whistle, it’s ten o’clock (__ __ __, __ __ __).  Come on baby, it’s time to rock (__ __ __, __ __ __).  I’m so happy I got you here (__ __ __, __ __ __)  Keeps me grinnin’ from ear to ear (__ __ __, __ __ _).  Oooh-Weee, this feelin’ is killin’ me.  Aaaaa-shucks, well, I wouldn’t stop for a million bucks, I love you so.  Just hold me tight and __ __ __”.  Clue: The title is obvious.  That’s your clue (555).

This morning it was raining.  That was no surprise, but it did change the day a bit.  Instead of motoring around town visiting temples, the Denmark Crew went to Big C and the mall with us.  We had a good time, picked up supplies and went into stores we don’t usually see.  The amount of black clothing being stocked in most of the mid to high end shops was very interesting.  I notice when other people wear black, but I never thought about where they were buying it.  One of the many trivial thoughts that sometimes run through my head.  When Jesper asked me what I was wearing to the opening tomorrow night he wondered if it would be ‘Black’.  He has my number.  

While the sun was shining this afternoon, I took Jesper and Louise to Immigration to check on their departure status next month.  The high point of the visit was the ticket for the window service.  At the top was a large number 58.  Below that, in small print were the words “Wait for 57 numbers”.  What?  Instructions lost in translation.   

When we got to the bus station downtown to buy their ticket to Chiang Mai, it started raining.  The temporary bus station sits on a dirt lot, with shelters for ticket selling and a big awning with chairs for waiting for buses.   In the rain it looked like chaos, but it was actually working out.  As I sat waiting, I noticed a number of blue and white buses that apparently go to outer districts.  Most of the passengers getting on these buses were high school students.  I know that there are students who live in special apartment houses in town, away from their families.  Now I’m wondering if these students I saw today were going home for the weekend.   

On the way home the rain got very intense.  We could see the wind whipping the rain, making it swirl in the air before it reached the ground.  About a block past the Clock Tower it stopped.  The street was just damp and it was as if a faucet was turned off.  It had not rained at the house at all.  Storm clouds continue to lurk.

Today’s photos are of Guan Yin.  The first one shows the exterior of this giant monument.  The next two are from the 25th floor.  It was like a little magical room.  The walls are made of sculpted and shaped cement, with little jewels adding the only contrast.  Note the elevator button in the third photo, and the hand ‘holding’ it.




Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.         On to the ‘Funnies’.

                    Peace,
                              Danny


No comments: