Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Service

Hi,

This morning the sky looked closer to it’s natural blue than the day before.  It was a pleasant day, but temps will be rising soon.  Friday it’s going up to 90, and next week it may reach 98.  That’s hot.

The ‘Easy Monday’ song was “On Broadway,”originally by The Drifters.  It was later done by George Benson.  Now it’s time for some kind of ‘Zany Day’ madness.  I think this one qualifies, and you still might know it:
“Here come old flat top, he come grooving up slowly, he got joo joo eyeball, he one holy roller.  He got hair down to
his knee.  Got to be a joker he just do what you please.  He wear no shoe shine, he got toe jam football, he got monkey finger, he shoot Coca-Cola.  He say ‘I know you, you know me’.  One thing I can tell you is you got to be free.
__ __ right now over me.”  Hint:  It’s another from the Fab Four in 1969.  Please don’t ask me to explain it (555).

When I take Daku out after his breakfast, it’s still dark outside.  I have noticed that we have a new creature living on the grounds.  I call him Mr. Frog and he’s always in the same spot at the same time.  The only reason I see him and Daku doesn’t is the little flashlight I take with me.  While Daku is scanning the ground with his nose, I’m checking things out with the light.  I make sure Daku doesn’t see Mr. Frog.  He’s on a leash, but he’d want to investigate and return to the spot over and over again.  Frogs have a defense mechanism that can sting dog’s eyes.

This morning we went to Central Plaza Mall.  I thought the Robinson department store still opened at 10am.  We had coffee at Starbuck’s, which has an outside door, and went to Robinson, only to find that they don’t open until 11am with the rest of the mall.  The lower level, featuring Top’s Market was open so we went there.  There’s always something in there that we can’t get at Big C.  The food court was going strong and the aroma from various vendors filled the air.  

It will be interesting to see just how long this town can continue to operate with mostly two-lane streets.  The volume of vehicles is growing and one lane in each direction can only work for so long.  I have no solution, except maybe a rapid transit system using electric buses.  Of course, this would bring on the wrath of the Song Taew community and their army of little pick-up trucks that haul people around.  Still, they add to the congestion.  Hmm, where did all that come from?  I’m done.

Today’s photo is one of many that Blue took at The Wanderer.  He had a great ‘eye’ for nature shots and this is one we really like.


The study of the Thai language has helped us understand the sounds of many words, and their prescribed tones.  It has also confirmed that some things just can’t be explained.  I have told you about the use of the ’n’ sound on words ending with ‘l’.  Today, while working on pronunciation, a program presented the word ‘Ball’.  When it was time for the voice in the program to say the word, it said: ‘Bon’.  We have surrendered to footbon, appun and all the rest of the words we used to know.

It feels like a Wacky Wednesday.

                   Peace,
                             Danny

“Service to others is the rent
you pay for your room here on earth.”
~Muhammad Ali

No comments: