Friday, July 10, 2015

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Well, day one back in Thailand and we fought off Mr. Lag just long enough to get some food in the house.  We’ll see how things play out over the weekend.  

The ‘Zany Day’ song was “Willie and The Hand Jive” as recorded by Johnny Otis.  There are many versions of this song, but Otis was the one who put it to the Bo Diddley beat and made it a hit in the US.  Thank Barry for the info.
That leaves us with the business of ‘Old School Friday’ and a sad love song from an artist who left too soon.
“Oh, __, Oh, __, Oh, __, Oh, __.  I had a girl, __ was her name.  Since she left me I’ve never been the same.  ‘Cause I love my girl, __, where can you be (where can you be)?  Now that you’re gone I’m left all alone.  All by myself, to wander and roam.  ‘Cause I love my girl, __ where can you be?”  Hint:  It’s a name.

While we were in the states, Daku slept in Cat’s room.  She gets up at 5:20am and Daku got used to getting up at that time.  We normally get up at 6:30am, so you can see, there was a problem on our first morning back.  We got him to wait, but he played with one of his toys and kept getting up.  Maybe he’ll do better tomorrow.

This morning I found myself doing the ‘automatic' thing with the turn signals.  The wipers kept coming on and you know why.  Some say it takes 21 days for a habit to be formed, but I’m here to tell you that it only took 14 for my left hand to be convinced that it was the turn signal hand.  I have to concentrate every time I turn a corner.

Believe it or not, it felt good to be back in Makro (555).  All of it, from the familiar faces to the knowledge of where things were, it all felt comfortable.  With the detailed list that Blue compiled, we made our way through the relevant parts of the store.  The second half of our shopping was at the Healthy Market and that’s when it got interesting.  ‘Fish guy’ had already sold out, and so had the bok choy vendor.  She asked for Lisa's phone number so she can call when she has a kilo for us.  Fruit lady provided us with bags of great looking stuff and also offered a high-quality bottle of honey, at a higher price.  

Today’s photo was taken at Makro.  This is a very tidy display of various chilly peppers.  Also, note the large lemons, something we couldn’t find here seven years ago.


The street department was busy while we were gone.  They were out with the line-painting machine and it’s nice to see bright lines defining lanes once again.  They even put little blinking lights in some lanes near intersections.  Our newly remodeled bridge has new lines and a few points of confusion.  I’m sure they’ll get it worked out, eventually.  

I forgot that this is Friday, but I should have remembered that if there is monotonous music coming from across the river, it’s Friday.  Last week Cat and one of her friends went to the fairgrounds and she told me that it’s like Walking Street, with less people.  There is also another new weekly event at a market north of us.  That means we could go ’shopping’ and be assaulted by loud music four nights a week.  Oh joy.

Saturday afternoon Cat will go to Chiang Mai with the ‘K-Dance’ crew for an overnighter.  They will dance in a competition on Sunday and return home.  Fortunately, they will perform here in Chiang Rai later in the month so we’ll get to see the routine.  Needless to say, we wish we could go but there is no way we can travel this soon.  

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.          Time for the ’Funnies’.

                Peace,
                          Danny


No comments: