Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Change

Hi,

Drip, drip,drip.  That has been the sound of our weather all day.  We’re enjoying the occasional rains because they don’t pose any problems like flooding, wind and destruction (555).

The ‘Easy Monday’ song is clearly a winner.  The artist is memorable, even with the fortune-telling fiasco.
“I just can’t get over losing you, and so if I seem broken and blue, __ __ __, __ __ __.  Foolish pride is all that I have left so let me hide the tears and the sadness you gave me, when you said goodbye.  __ __ __, and __ __ __.”
Clue:  ‘Nothing to see here’ could be added to the title’, like the scene of an accident.  

Last night, as I was sending the message through my Blogspot page, Google informed me that I had sent 2100 posts since 2007.  I actually began writing to some of you in 2001, right after our first trip to Thailand.  My very rough calculations have determined that there have been a total of 3900 posts.  Hmm, that’s a lot of messages.  Thanks for reading.

This Thursday is a major holiday in Thailand.  It is the Theravada Buddhist festival known as Asalha Puja.  It takes place in July, on the full moon of the eighth lunar month.  The holiday celebrates The Buddha’s first sermon.  Cat’s school will be closed for two days, since the next day marks the beginning of Buddhist Lent.  

Today’s photo was taken at Big C and shows part of the display of items that can be purchased in honor of the celebration.  People buy these large candles and give them to temples.  There were also gift baskets with personal-care supplies, towel sets, and even umbrellas in appropriate colors for the monks.  I think most of these candles have been made from molds, but we have seen many that were hand carved.


In our travels today we got a glimpse of the river.  It’s starting to look like its ‘old self’ again.  More boats are running and I’m pretty sure that means irrigation water for the farmers to the southeast of us.  The Bangkok Post reported that the government has declared the drought is over.  Well then, I guess it’s business as usual.  

This afternoon in the kitchen, Natcha said something to Lisa that she didn’t understand.  Natcha started laughing when she realised she had spoken in Akha instead of Thai.  It’s a very different language, and since it’s her first language, it’s easy to see how that could happen.  Also, when she talks with Pon, her niece who is helping her, they speak Akha.  I don’t plan to learn it, but I like the sound.

Have a Happy Tuesday.

                Peace,
                          Danny

“Change is never easy.  
You fight to hold on.
You fight to let go.”
~The Wonder Years

No comments: