Monday, July 21, 2014

Good

Hi,

It was a rainy weekend here in Chiang Rai.  It wasn't constant, but enough to label it 'rainy'.  

The 'Old School Friday' song was "Up On The Roof" by The Drifters.  I'll try to be kind since it's 'Easy Monday' time.  "Is this the real life?  Is this just fantasy?  Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.  Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see.  I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy... Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me."  Hint:  Mama mia, it's an operetta fit for a King or..., well, that would give it away.

Our Saturday morning adventure didn't happen.  We drove down to Wat Rong Khun for the big event, where local artists were presenting banners, and a fundraiser for earthquake relief was being kicked off.  When we arrived the police had blocked the access road due to a huge procession.  Cars were parking on the highway and it started to rain.  We called a friend that was there and she said it was so crowded she couldn't breath.  That called for a U-turn and a return to the city.  

Cat had two more teeth pulled on Friday night, and by mid-day Saturday she was bouncing around like nothing had happened, almost.  This time it was a much faster recovery, which made us all happy.  

At Cat's school each class has 'groups' of students who work together on various assignments and projects.  This weekend Cat's group had to put together a presentation on the Clarinet for the younger students.  This meant having a meeting to work things out.  Sunday morning I drove her and a friend to Pawn's house which is north of us and in a little neighborhood off the beaten path.  I'd been there once, at night, with Pawn directing me.  On Sunday Cat and I couldn't remember exactly how to get there, but her friend Pim knew the way.  We traveled up a few one-lane muddy roads until we found the house.  On my way home I had to reverse the journey so I wouldn't get lost. 
I made it back safely and Lisa and I went to Art Bridge for a nice lunch.  I discovered a new favorite drink.  It's called 'Mango Pun' and it's basically a really thick mango slushy.  Yum.

For as long as I've been driving here it has amazed me how many drivers don't use their wipers when it's raining.  If the rain is light to moderate, you see cars and trucks with no wiper action.  There might be an occasional wipe, but they just drive along with wet windshields.  While talking about this the other day, Lisa noted that most drivers begin on motorbikes so they may be used to having a distorted 'rain view'.  Hmm, something to think about.

Today's photos were taken in Mae Sai, just south of the town.  At a big intersection there is a hotel and the entire corner is adorned with these huge images of mythical gods.  A great landmark.
 


Have a Great Week. 

                 Peace,
                           Danny

"A good head and a good heart
are always a formidable combination."
~Nelson Mandela

No comments: