Friday, July 4, 2014

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Chiang Rai had another sunny, muggy day.  Normally, this time of year would find us complaining about the rain everyday, but most weather conversations are about how little rain has fallen.  Hmm.

Our 'Zany Day' song this week was "My Sharona" by The Knack.  You shoulda' known.  'Old School Friday' time:
"If I were a rich man, I'd spend every dime, just to prove to you that I want you to be mine.  If I were a poet, I'd write lots of beautiful poems.  The words would come from the depths of my heart, to express my love for you.  Oh, but __ __ __ __ __ and I don't know how to show you, that __ __ __ __ __ and I don't know how to tell you that I love you..."  Hint:  With lines like these, he's really more than he says he is.  The title is an overly humble display.  The last two words are key.  The group name is what you might call people at a masked ball.  Have fun with this.

This morning we toured the fabric stores in the big market.  We were searching for material to make a bedspread.  When you're not looking for something, you see it everywhere, but when on a mission, it seems to disappear.  Hmm.  We finally found something that we liked.  As we walked from shop to shop we saw the usual 'regulars' who work the aisles.  We also saw someone who I hope does not become a regular.  There is a young girl, about 8 years old who sits on the ground with a tin can in front of her.  She wais everyone as they pass, but most ignore her.  Unfortunately for her, they know she is not there on her own, so we don't contribute.  We've seen this before on the street where many tourists walk, but never in the market.  I hope the vendors have the courage to chase the person controlling her away.  She should be in school.

We had a great time in the pool this evening.  Cat gave us a detailed account of how she used to go to school in town each morning when she lived in her village.  All I can say is, it was a brave thing she did each day just to go to school.  A bike ride, a truck ride, and a walk across town every morning, and then home again.  Whew.  Now it's just a van ride from home to school and back.  

Today's photo could almost qualify as a 'Friday Funny'.  It was taken at one of the checkpoints on the highway to Chiang Mai.  This officer is always ready for whatever happens.  No matter how many times we see him, he brings a smile.


Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.   On to the 'Funnies'.

             Peace,
                       Danny


No comments: