Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Toll

Hi,

Today was another one of those wonderful weather days in Chiang Rai. The fireworks continued with no particular pattern or time frame, and music has been in the distance every night.

Day two of 'Easy Monday' brought a few more responses to "Mr. Postman" by The Marvelettes. Cousin Rikki sent me a list of songs dealing with the mail and I realized that last Friday's song was also about mail. Hmm, means nothing of course. Since no one requested a year for the Wednesday song, I'm picking a 'Song of '78' for no particular reason. Here's what I remember: "It's not in the way that you hold me. It's not in the way you say you care. It's not in the way you've been treating my friends... __ __ __, love isn't always on time, whoa whoa whoa (repeat)." Clue: This tune is by a group that blended many genres into their sound. Note that they were not named for a dog from Kansas. The song seems to be about maintaining the status quo, I think. Now you'll have to write me and tell me what you think it means.

This turned out to be a 'stay at home' day. Yesterday, when we went to the main market we passed a stall that sells many things. I noticed that they had the paper clothes that are burned during the New Year celebrations. There were boxes with a shirt and tie, looking like they were real clothes only made of thin cardboard. There was also a derby hat. I didn't take the time to look, but I'm guessing there was a car in there too. The woman who owned the stall gave me a big smile as I left. I think she was amused that I was amused.

We have been watching the Australian Open with semi-focused attention this year. Some matches mean more than others. There's also the fact that almost all the commentary is in Thai this year so we have the sound turned down. This tends to allow the mind to wander to other things, like the dogs or the computer. It's getting down to the end and the excitement is starting to build. Oh yeah, it's just a game.

Chiang Rai is in the middle of the 'High Season' and it appears to be a good one this time. There are 'visitors' everywhere and tour busses and vans roll up and down the major streets. Many events in other parts of the country have hampered previous seasons so we're hoping this one will be good for the local merchants.

Tomorrow will no doubt be an errand day and then an evening of art talk at Chalit's photo exhibit. I'm looking forward to observing the reactions as people view his work.

Time for a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"If you cross a bridge before you come to it,
you have to pay the toll twice."
~Benjamin Franklin

No comments: