Monday, December 12, 2011

Win

Hi,

I know I said I wouldn't write about the cold anymore, but it's really cold here in Chiang Rai. Friday night we had a rain storm and the rest of the weekend looked like it could rain any time. It's so cold that we put the blanket on the bed, and I'm wearing socks and a jacket.

Well, nobody knew the 'Old School Friday' song. The full title is "Come Softly, To Me" by The Fleetwoods. I see you don't know your Cadillacs either. (Ha) Maybe 'Easy Monday' will be kinder to you. It came from across the pond:
"And if she should tell you 'come closer'. And if she tempts you with her charms. __ __ __ (repeat the last word many times). Don't hurt me now for her love belongs to me." Hint: The singer is urging the listener not to give in to someone. The group is named after something that is all the rage these days, or is it a someone.

Saturday we went to the opening of the photo exhibit at Praatap Jai. As the ribbon cutter, I had an opportunity to say a few words about the artists before I officially opened the show. There was a good crowd there and we had a great time visiting with friends, talking about art, and getting more acquainted with people we'd recently met.

Sunday we had a very nice lunch at the house with our friends Justin and Lisa. We got to know their 3-year-old son Jack. They're from Australia and have been living in Chiang Rai for a year. Justin and I discovered that we have many common interests and it was nice to have quiet conversation with him. We usually see each other at events at the hotel he manages or at some function where there are lots of distractions. I showed Jack an art program on my iPad and he took to it right away. He has games on 'his' iPad so he was very familiar with how to navigate and make things happen. He taught me how to do some things I didn't know about. Lisa is a graphic designer and is moving toward doing her own art, which opened the door for lots more conversation. Near the end of the visit we sat outside and Jack enjoyed the waterfall and slowly got comfortable with BamBam, who was very sweet to him.

I have written about seeing cows on the road from time to time. The other day, while I was driving on a long stretch of open highway, I noticed the truck in front of me slowing down. We ended up coming to a complete stop to let a herd of cows cross the road. I might have been annoyed if it there had not been a couple of really cute calves that came bounding off the curb trying to keep up. I've also seen a small herd of goats, which was a big surprise.

Today on our way home from Big C, while sitting at a light on the highway, we heard the rumble of motorcycles that were clearly bigger than what we usually hear. Eight Harley-Davidson's came up between the lanes of traffic. What a thrill.

Tomorrow Lisa begins the Thai Artist Workshop at Chiang Rai Rachapat University. The artists will create new pieces over a two-day period. On Wednesday evening there will be a dinner at the Rimkok Resort for all the artists. Thursday there will be the opening of an exhibit of work that they have already donated to the university.

Have a Great Week.

Peace,
Danny

"First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,
then you win."

No comments: