Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hatred

Hi,

Today was a beautiful day for running around town. Up and down the highway, in and out of the mall, stretched out on a table, and an evening of merriment.

The 'Easy Monday' song was "Tell Her No" by The Zombies. Oh, now you get it. Time for the last 'Song of 91':
"Life is bigger, it's bigger than you and you are not me. The lengths that I will go to, the distance in your eyes. Oh no, I've said too much, I set it up." Hint: The title is in three words. It's by a group who used initials that were not from their names. Singer is obsessed with someone.

This morning there wasn't the fog, but the cold was still here. I took Lisa up to the university for the second day of the art workshop. I had canceled my dental appointment since my cold is lingering, so I didn't have to rush off. There is an interesting dynamic when the artists come together. It reminds me of a kind of 'summer camp' vibe. Everyone getting together in the dining room to do a project. New friends yesterday were old friends today. Apparently there was some serious partying last night during the dinner on campus.

During the ride to Rajabhat, Lisa brought up the idea of my getting a new iPhone. It would be a Christmas/Birthday present. This of course caused my face to light up with a big grin. Of course, that's a great idea. After I dropped her off I went home and began studying how to transition from my relic, first generation phone to the latest version. You know your phone is old when they don't even sell covers for it anymore. When I got to Central Plaza I went directly to the iBeat Apple Store. They had no iPhones. I tried the NextBeat Apple Store, same answer. The closest answer about delivery was next Wednesday, the day before we start our journey to The States. Breathe deep, you can wait, breathe deep.

The massage appointment was just what I needed to relax me from the morning adventure. An hour and a half later I was on my way back to the university. I was blown away by the beauty that had been created in just two days. Some of the work was so intricate that it looked like it took days to do just one part. I got a chance to watch one of the Chinese artists doing some traditional painting on a long strip of paper. There was a group standing around him, almost mesmerized by the tip of his brush, how it barely touched the paper to make delicate branches and leaves. Lisa was the only woman in the workshop but felt quite at home with her art 'buddies'. The campus staff was ready to please and the experience was definitely worth it.

This evening was the closing dinner for the artists. It was held around the corner from us at the Rimkok Resort. There was the buffet of either things I don't eat or things that are too spicy, but I managed to get a dinner out of it. We sat with our friends Bob and Noni and a Ula, a teacher from Zimbabwe. It was nice to have conversations in English during dinner. After the eating was over it got interesting. The guys from China introduced the Thai crowd to a toast that is like a 'drinking cheer'. With round dinner tables it made it easy to get it going. Everyone stands with raised glasses, one person shouts a word, and then all say: "Soy" six times in a little rhythm then everyone yells something else, cheers and drinks. Whew. They went around from table to table doing this. When they got to us, I think I drank half a glass of water sipping each time. Tons of pictures were taken and I'm sure many will end up on Facebook.

Tomorrow we'll make an attempt at getting our Thai driver's licenses. In the afternoon we'll go back to the university for the opening of the exhibit of works by the artists.

Get Ready for Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

Hatred does not cease by hatred at any time;
hatred ceases by love.
This is an unalterable law."
~Buddha

No comments: