Thursday, December 8, 2011

Intend

Hi,

The weather here in Chiang Rai is more of the same, with some clouds for good measure. It was a day of errands, and in interesting adventure in driving.

Looks like the 'Song of '91' is still in the minds of many. This song has been covered, featured, and played a lot.
"But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little __. No we've never gonna survive unless we are a little __."
Hint: It came from across the water, he's a sharp dresser and his wife is a super model. His charisma sealed the deal.

This morning I went to the Toyota dealership to make an appointment for service on our little car. I also went to Big C, and the coffee shop post office. Going out early is the way to do it around here. No lines and lots of staff eager to help. This afternoon we went out to look for a digital clock but didn't find one. I know they're out there.

The big adventure of the day was our trip to the DMV to find out about getting Thai driver licenses. Our friend Tye went as our interpreter since no one there speaks English. She told us that when she got her license it was good for life. They've changed the law and now it's five years. We took all the necessary papers and after the woman at the counter looked through everything she told us what we had to do. First we needed an examination from a doctor, then one hour of training, an eye test, and we would be done. Apparently, since we have valid licenses for another country, we don't have to take a driving test. Tye said she knew the doctor to go to for the physical. We drove into town to a clinic. After giving the receptionist our passports she filled out some forms and we went into the doctor's office one at a time. Lisa came out with a big smile after a minute. When I went in he had me sit in a chair in front of his desk. He asked me to hold out my hands, palms down. Then he had me turn them over. Next I followed his example and touched each finger to the thumb on each hand. I was wondering if this was some sort of sobriety test. It was like Simon Says. Arms up, arms down, look up, and it was over. Both 'exams' cost a little over $3. We left with an official looking piece of paper with his seal on it. Next Thursday we'll go back and do the rest. The adventure continues in Amazing Thailand.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"I may not have gone where I intended to go,
but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."
~Douglas Adams.

No comments: