Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Honesty

Hi,

Today we had slightly cooler weather, the river is very low, and the pool is warming up. We got a massage, and had dinner with friends. Life is good.

'Easy' for some, but not for all. I just knew you would get this one right away. Maybe this will help ring the bell:
"I see you each morning, but you just walk past me, you don't even know that I exist, __ __ __ __ __..." Hint: The clues from yesterday still apply. Here's a hint from Denny: "I got tears on my pillow trying to remember, and then I was going out of my mind until it came to me." Now, that ought to hold you.

Last night, when I went to pick up Blue at the airport, the temperature reading at the front gate was 25.6 C, which is 78 F. That was at 8:50pm. Today was supposed to go up to 100 F according to one site, but it didn't get there. There is finally mention in the press about the fact that we're in a draught. Here in Chiang Rai, there hasn't been rain since January. To add to the problem, the MeKong River is in trouble because of the dams in China diverting water. Supply barges that deliver goods between China and Thailand and Laos have had to suspend operations because the levels in the river do not permit safe passage. Sand bars are appearing in some areas. Our local river, the Mae Kok is very low these days. I'm not sure what it means for local farmers, but I'm sure it's not good.

Now that you know what's happening with the rivers, there's the issue of the sky. I have been going on and on to anyone who will listen, about the smoke in the air caused by the burning of fields and trash. It has received mixed reviews since 'it's what we do', or 'it doesn't bother me', or the one I just love: 'what are we supposed to do with all the stuff?'. The problem has finally caused the powers that be to speak up and warn about burning, and to suggest that some people get masks. There are no affordable masks that will protect from the smoke, but at least they're talking about it. Our filter is working great. I have ideas that could possibly help, it's just a matter of giving them to locals and hoping that they think it's a good idea. Hmm.

This afternoon Lisa, Blue, and I went to Arisara for a massage. I got a new person this time and I liked how she dealt with certain things. It turns out that the place is a teaching facility, which means that the operators have varying degrees of experience. It also explains why there isn't a regular staff there at all times. We all got good massages. As long as we get the people who treat us well, I guess it doesn't matter.

This evening we went to dinner with Sutheera and Nukoon. Blue and Nukoon hadn't seen each other in quite some time so it was a nice reunion. We met at Mumai restaurant and sat in a tent in the garden. It was really nicer than being inside. Nukoon has a great sense of humor and we laughed and talked about many topics. When we first came to Chiang Rai in 2001, Nukoon met us at the airport and took us to meet his mother. We were traveling with Blue and Ming and he wanted his mom to see her grandson. Nice memories.

We're still watching the Olympics. I know, it's taking a while, but we just watch one event at a time. Now we have to share the time with the Oscars. It's all getting rather complicated now, what with house guests, and the addition of the new Formula One season that starts on Sunday. Hmm, haven't watched any 'Football' in weeks.

Have a Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"Honesty Without Compassion is Brutality."
~Marrianne Williamson

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: