Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday Funnies

Hi,

In yesterday's message I mentioned that we could hear thunder off in the distance. Well, a few hours after I sent the message it started raining really hard. There was thunder, lightning, and wind. This morning our front yard was covered with 'Teak tree trash'. We had a wonderful lunch adventure with friends, and a quiet evening at home.

The last song we were trying to remember was "Castles Made of Sand" by Jimi Hendrix. See, you knew that. Now, for 'Old School Friday' we're goin' way back. This song is from an album that introduced a form of Caribbean music to popular culture. "Sad to say, I'm on my way. Won't be back for many a day. My heart is down my head is turning around, I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town." Hint: The title is in two words and they're not in the lyrics. You should know this even if you're not old. (Ha)

In the aftermath of last night's storm, there was a mess this morning. There are little clusters of branches on teak trees that contain seeds about an inch in diameter. The dogs like to eat anything from the tree and a few weeks ago BamBam got one of these little branches stuck in her mouth. Even though the ones this morning were wet, we didn't want to take any chances. That meant cleaning up the entire yard. Not an easy task. Lisa and I, plus Boot and Rene went out and began raking and picking up by hand, all the tree waste. I cleared a big portion and had sit out the rest of the game. They finally finished and let the dogs out. There is still lots to sniff and investigate so they're happy. They might have gone mad if we'd let them out in the teak yard.

Our friends Atom and Jenny invited us to lunch today and took us someplace we'd never been. It's a Vietnamese style restaurant we'd heard about. Walking in, we were struck by the motif of the place. It's operated by a local artist and he's decorated the place with lots of his work, wooden assemblages with mirrors, and interesting hanging things. In Thai style, it's open on the sides yet has a very warm feel. As we studied the small menu, we realized we were really digging the music. They were playing a compilation of Bossa Nova versions of Stevie Wonder and The Beatles. Very smooth. Atom and Jenny helped us navigate to the non-spicy dishes on the menu. In this place, spicy means very hot. We had to special order one dish just to make sure there was no chili in it. At one point the owner came towards our table carrying the brochure from Lisa's first show. With a big grin on his face he said, "I know you." That broke the ice for another level of communication. He's going to have some work in a show that opens tomorrow night and we let him know that we'll be there. We'll be going back to this place for sure. The food, the vibe, and the sights are all very appetizing.

Have a Cool WeekEnd. On with the 'Funnies'.

Peace,
Danny

PS This is the 700th post of this Blog. Whoopee.

The following was published by an insurance company for internal distribution. These reports were submitted when policy holders were asked for a brief statement describing their particular accident:

The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention.

I thought my window was down but found it was up when I put my hand through it.

The guy was all over the place. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.

The accident occurred when I was attempting to bring my car out of a skid by steering it into the other vehicle.

I was driving my car out of the driveway in the usual manner, when it was struck by the other car in the same place it had been struck several times before.

I was on my way to the doctor’s with rear-end trouble when my universal joint gave way, causing me to have an accident.

As I approached the intersection, a stop sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.

The telephone phone pole was approaching fast. I was attempting to swerve out of its path when it struck my front bumper.

My car was legally-parked as it backed into the other vehicle.

An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my vehicle and vanished.

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: