Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wise

Hi,

After another big downpour last night, we had a beautiful day. There are usually big white cloud formations against the blue sky that can make one pause. It was a day of odds and ends. This big news is, it was the first day of school. Read on.

I'm so glad some of you read the clues. Day two of 'Easy Monday' produced more mail with right answers. You might want to know that Carole King played piano on "He's So Fine" by The Chiffons. It was produced by members of The Tokens (The Lion Sleeps Tonight). They didn't get a label deal after their hit single, but got a production contract and this was their first outing. George Harrison was taken to court for plagiarism after his 'My Sweet Lord' had the same melodic structure as 'He's So Fine'. He lost, paid and then bought the publishing company. Now you have lots of stuff to talk about and you can impress 'old' people with your knowledge of '60's music.

Now it's Wednesday and I'm hoping this one isn't too easy for you. It was big in '66 and has had lots of covers.
"__ __ __ __ __ goin' down, down, down __ __ __ __ __, whoop, about to slip down....Five o'clock in the mornin', I'm already up and gone. Lord, I'm so tired, how long can this go on?" Hint: It's a bit of a work song. Please tell me the original artist on this one. Oh yeah, it's not Devo. Just wanted to clear that up. Have fun.

My search for the perfect King flag continues. I found one with the same design but when I went to mount it I found that it was too small. I went back to the shop and they didn't have one in the right size. I bought a new tape measure today. You might say 'Big deal', but there are so many times when the right measurement can help avoid confusion and aid in communication. For instance, I know how big the flag has to be and I can measure before I buy. (Ha)

Speaking of communication, I had my first Thai lesson with our new teacher, Khun Janya. We had studied a little bit when we first arrived and then started learning from friends. We kept hearing that if the writing and reading were learned, the speaking came easier and with more understanding. We enrolled at the language center with the intention of learning to write and read as well as speak Thai. Lisa couldn't go today so I went all by my self. Janya made me feel comfortable and dove right in on the work. It's quite a different thing to learn a language that uses characters that are unfamiliar in addition to sounds that are not spoken in English. There are three types of consonants. Today I started learning the nine consonants in the middle-class. Then she introduced eight vowels. You can see how complex it gets. There are almost twice as many letters in the alphabet so there will be homework. Hmm.

It's time for Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"The day the child realizes that all adults
are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult;
the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."
~Aiden Nowlan

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: