Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mistakes

Hi,

The weather in Chiang Rai was a bit cooler this morning, then it got hot anyway. I made an airport run, went to market, and saw new sights.

It looks like 'Easy Monday' was just that. I know I didn't hear from a lot of you but I still got right answers.
"Different strokes for different folks. And so on, and so on, and scooby-dooby-doo...I am __ __." Hint: I think those lines should just about do it. Besides, I couldn't think of any sly clues. (555)

I took Boot to the airport bright and early this morning. She had to be there for a 7:30 check-in. On the way home I saw two monks standing in from of a market place on the highway, collecting food. There was a woman kneeling in front of one of them, receiving a blessing. As I turned off the highway into Ban Mai village, I saw something I'd never seen. A young woman was riding on the back of a motorbike crosslegged. Hmm.

This morning I went down to the market to do the 'Boot' shopping. On the way I went by the medical 'warehouse' were we buy our vitamins and things. This place is amazing. It's stuffed to the rafters with inventory. It's run by a husband and wife who seem to know where everything is. They have a crew of young men who help retrieve product and fill orders. You walk in, side stepping boxes, and tell them what you want. They get it and ring it up and it usually costs a lot less than seems fair. I'm not complaining. It's just such a contrast to a Rite-Aid or CVS where you have to hunt things down and pay top dollar for prescriptions.

One thing that still puzzles us is the fact that eggs are not refrigerated here. I picked up a dozen this morning and they were in a nice clear plastic carton, on a shelf. It's that way everywhere. Hmm. My next stop was the market, to get fish, chicken and veggies. When you buy fish, they are swimming in a tank. I was a little thrown at first. Then the man took two of them out of the tank and put them in a plastic bag. I had not planned to take live fish home and that's when I told him I'd be back. I went and got the vegetables while he did his thing and when I returned, he was done. No heads, no bones. Then it was on to the chicken lady. That was a lot simpler to deal with and I got what I needed and got out as quickly as I could. As I left, I passed a counter where they were preparing food for lunch and the chilies had just hit the pan. My nose stung for a few seconds. I never know what to expect at the market.

This afternoon Tye and her husband Pong came by. We had called Tye for help earlier when the gate guy called and we could not communicate. Usually, Boot handles such calls. Talk about feeling powerless. Tye called the man for us and came over to fill us in and also to take a look at the little refrigerator. We had a nice visit with them and learned more about another province southeast of us. Somewhere else to explore.

Speaking of exploring, have you been to the Risingstardom blog yet (see below)? I lifted today's quote from there. Thanks Blue.

I'm also wondering if you've ordered your tickets yet for the funniest send-up ever of the Godfather. Seth and his Goombahs will know if you don't show up for The Godfadda Workout. (Ha) Lisa and I have been groupies of this show for years. Just imagine one man playing all the roles in all the pivotal scenes of Godfather I. It's even funny if you've never seen the movie.

It's time for Happy Tuesday.

Peace,
Danny

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."
~Miles Davis

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: