Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lure

Hi,

Last night we had a giant storm. Today there were blue skies. We have electrical mysteries, and rap is alive and well in Chiang Rai.

I got a few hits on the song so either it's not as obscure as you think or the folks who got it are old blues lovers.
"I'm on call in the mornin', oh I go by the coal, but when Saturday goes around I'm too tired for havin' fun...I been __ __ __ __ __ goin' down, down, down...." Clue: It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it. Hmm.

Around 5am the stillness was shattered by giant thunder claps and huge flashes of lightning. Some of it sounded and felt like it was inside the house. Not for the faint of heart. We have two lightning rods on the roof of the house but when we started our day we realized that a few things weren't working. It's curious that some things stopped working long after the storm. Hmm. One casualty of the storm was our electric gate. I got in the car to go on a Big C run and pushed the button on the remote. Nothing happened. I went and got another remote and still nothing. Thinking I could outsmart the gate, I went out with the key that bypasses the motor. The little door wouldn't open, which meant the gate couldn't be opened manually. Hmm again. Trapped in my own kingdom.

After a call to the gate guy we pondered the situation. There had to be a solution. The gate guy arrived and showed me how to get the gate open and then proceeded to go inside the workings of the unit. There was a short in the thing that was probably caused by the lightning. He won't have it fixed for about a week since it has to go to Bangkok. In the meantime I'll be investigating the installation of a lightning rod on the gate. For the next week, 'lazy man' will have to open the gate, drive through, close the gate and repeat on return. Ugh.

To add insult to injury, two of the three chargers for our computers stopped working this morning and we had to order new ones from the Thailand Apple Store. While we wait for delivery we'll be sharing one power source. That should be interesting.

This evening I was driving down to Doi Chaang Coffee when I heard a thumping sound. It was the deep, throbbing bass of a massive auto sound system. When the truck got up next to me I could hear the whole thing. It was American Rap and somebody in that truck is going to be hard of hearing before they realize it. You know the feeling, when your car vibrates from the car next to you. On the way home it happened again with a different truck. The 'homies' are diggin' rap in Chiang Rai.

Have a Thoughtful Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"The lure of the distant and the difficult is deceptive.
The great opportunity is where you are."
~John Burroughs

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: