Thursday, June 19, 2008

Light

Hi,
Whoa, a day without rain in Chiang Rai. Unusual but welcomed. Beautiful clouds but no rain. It made it easier to go out and do things.
The song we all remembered (5) was "Love The One You're With" by Stephen Stills. I know, a lot of you thought it was Crosby, Stills and Nash or CSN/Young, but it was just the 'S'. Lane sent me a very heavy rundown of the many covers of the tune. In fact, in '71 CSNY covered it. The Isley Bros. recording was one of the best departures in style and Aretha did it live at Fillmore West. So much music, so little time.
Since I missed a day with the song, and it's now Thursday, I'm giving you a one day challenge. This song has been around for ages, used to commemorate ages and until recently, it was free for the taking. "__ __ to you. __ __ to you....." You've sung it a hundred times yourself, so don't sit there and scratch your head. Send me the answer.
The August Chronicles, Part 2: As planned, August called us this morning. We had sent him an email last night telling him we were finally connected. He must have awakened, read his mail and jumped onto Skype. It was a little after 7 am (his time) when he called. He looked a little sleepy, but excited. He told us he had just come out of iTunes, getting some songs for his Friday gigs.
We wanted him to call in his morning so he could see the house in the daylight. I carried my laptop around and gave him the royal tour. What's really funny is, he didn't tell anyone else in his house about it. True to form, he wanted to know how they did the lights in Thailand so I showed him the recessed ceiling lights and he gave his approval. We opened and closed the gate for him and took him out to the waterfall. The whole thing was very cool.
I went back over to CAT to see if they had figured out the one wrinkle in using the air card and found that the company that made it hasn't addressed some part of the Mac firmware. Ok, means nothing to me except if I disconnect, I have to type a bunch of code back into the computer. I did it in the office (they made me) and I did it at home. I don't like doing it so I'll probably leave it on most of the time. So there. Now I just have to find a way to create a Wi-Fi network here at the house with this new gadget.
We've been looking for a piece of furniture that nobody has and decided to visit our Pakistani furniture guy and his wife. We bought our first kitchen cabinet and our TV cabinet from them and they're really enthusiastic. We presented our request, after drawing a picture and using the tape measure, and finally he made a call to someone and said he could have it tomorrow. We hope we were clear as to what 'it' is. Tomorrow we'll know. Stay tuned on that one.
I'm going to have to study up on the operation of the pool. Kob, the designer, is going to the temple tomorrow, get his head shaved and live as a monk for nine days. A large percentage of Thai males spend time living and studying in the temples. It's often done during childhood, but sometimes as adults. I was told that many men do it before they marry. I'll be learning more about this.
Anyway, I need to know why certain things are happening and he was the guy. I'm hoping his assistant will come and help.
We had a 'Thai Moment' today as we were leaving Tops. (It's a grocery store) We had parked in the underground garage and when we returned to the truck, the security guard was sitting on the tailgate, singing to himself. As we got closer, we greeted him, he replied and got off the truck. Hmm.
Have a Groovy Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"The light around someone who speaks truth,
who consistently acts with compassion for all,
even in great difficulty,
is visible to all around them."
~Jack Kornfield

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: