Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Worry

Hi,
And hello from the wet and dry north. They've officially declared our province a drought area. Thousands of homes are affected because a lack of water produces less crops which produces less money to live. The Maekong river is down and tour boats are having a tough time. It's hot, then it rains, then it's hot. I guess the last 'rainy season' didn't produce enough ground water to last. We have no snow pack, so until I understand more about the water systems, I'll just have to guess. One couldn't tell there was a problem by watching life in the city. I think the people in the country are most affected right now. Here's hoping they can get the help and care they need.
Speaking of help and care, what happened to you all with the song? Nobody wrote me. Of course, I knew this would happen. (Ha)
"__ __ went home, and he got his forty-four. Said, I'm goin' to the barroom just to pay that debt I owe. Go __ __ go __ __.."
Clue: See, these guys were arguing and it got ugly. The key figure's name is the title of the song and it's what happens to those who imbibe too much.
Today we did a lot of 'stuff'. We had a list and we did almost everything. A run to Big C, the bus station, the tile store. Stuff like that. We've become experts at picking tile (with the help of our friend Nom). We got out in record time today. The trip to the bus station was to get tickets for a run down to Chiang Mai from #8 to #10. They're having their annual Art Festival so we're going to check it out.
On our way to The Place today, we took the detour along the river. The fair grounds were full of activity. People were setting up booths and stalls and we knew something special must be going on. We asked Yuthana about it and he told us it's a big expo of crafts from all over Thailand. It's kind of like a trade show, only it's local arts and crafts people selling to dealers and the public. We're going to go tomorrow afternoon with Boot. Who knows what we'll find. I'm sure we'll see things for the house (like there was any doubt) Then there's the matter of budget. (Ha)
Today was also the day that technology turned on me. But I won in the end. First, after cleaning the filters on the air/con (that's what it's called) they wouldn't go back in. It's a simple plastic screen with a special fiber mesh. It was supposed to slide into place. I've done it before and had no problems, but today... The problem was the lid. Lift too much and it closes part of the path of the screen. Then something went crazy with the wireless Internet connection and it took me quite a while to solve that one. There's a pattern to the frustration, acceptance, perseverance, solution thing. When I distill the whole thing, it will go down in history along side other 'stages' of life. Really.
Well, it's time to go surfing. Or was it sleeping? I think we're getting better with the 'lag' thing. Got up at 7:30 this morning. Of course, I did wake up at o'dark-thirty, but I managed to go back to sleep. There's hope.
It's time for Happy Tuesday!

Peace,
Danny

"Worrying about the future is like trying to eat the hole in a doughnut.
It's munching on what isn't."
~Barry Neil Kaufman

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: