Monday, April 14, 2008

Spark

Hi,
It was a quiet weekend for us. Even with Songkran going on, we stayed in. I'll fill you in after our Monday morning musical interlude.
The song that rang a bell was "On and On" by Stephen Bishop. One of those gems from the 70s. From the same decade try this:
"There's a port, on a western bay and it serves a hundred ships a day. Lonely sailors, pass the time away and talk about their homes..."
Hint: It may seem a little obscure without the music, but it was very popular. Of course, it's about a girl.
I'm not sure when it happened, but some time last week, I picked up a little stomach bug that followed me home and waited until the middle of the night to make itself known. So, I spent the entire weekend in bed, with a fever. Sweetheart that she is, Boot insisted on coming to the house on Sunday, to cook for me. Slept a lot, had two kinds of chicken soup and rode out the storm.
Speaking of storms, we had one Sunday night. About 2 p.m. it got dark, like it was 5. Just as the sun started going down, we heard thunder. Pretty soon there were big flashes of lightning. What we ended up with was a lot of noise and a bunch of rain. We had been told that it always rained during Songkran, but we weren't sure, based on the sky, whether to believe it. I had joked with Yuthana about needing someone to clean off the new roof. He said, 'No worry, rain come'. OK, rain come. Now I have to go and see if the roof is clean. Silly me.
Even though I was sick and shut-in, I did notice a few goings on in the 'hood'. Like the truck load of kids that left Sunday morning, laughing and cheering as they turned out into the street, and the sight of them returning at the end of the day, soaking wet with big grins on their faces.
And don't forget the fireworks. Every holiday requires that someone set off things that make big noise. It wouldn't be so bad if there were a warning. Just minding your own business and Blam! I don't think I'll ever get used to that. It should be a bit quieter at the new place. Another Songkran note: Lots of businesses are closed for a week, including the Post Office. I went out this evening and most of the sidewalk 'water stations' had been abandoned, but there were tons of pick-up trucks roaming the streets looking for someone to splash. I did get wet, or should I say the truck got wet. The real trick is to be quick on the wipers so you can still see where you're going. It should be noted that the authorities have been urging the revelers to not hit motorbike riders in the face. Good idea.
Well, one more day of water, supposedly, and that part is over. Tomorrow we'll clean all the Buddhas and look towards the new year. The weather is supposed to go over 100 degrees for the rest of the week so there just might be more water throwing, just to cool off.
Have a Wonderful Week.

Peace,
Danny

"Buried deep within each of us is a spark of greatness,
a spark than can be fanned into flames of passion and achievement.
That spark is not outside of you it is born deep within you."
~James A. Ray

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: