Monday, April 7, 2008

A Friend

Hi,
We just finished another Monday. For most of you, it's just beginning. It's very hot here in northern Thailand. We had to leave the shelter of our air-conditioned bedroom and go out into the day. Whew! Actually, once you get going, you kinda get used to it, but the cool air does feel better.
Looks like there were more than a few Four Season fans out there. "Let's Hang On" was one of their many hits. Here's an oldie we've played with before. The line for today is from the last verse. It's one of my favorites. Extra points for the album name.
"This is the night Of the expanding the man I take one last drag As I approach the stand I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long This brother is free I'll be what I want to be..." Clue: It's not really a blues, in the purest sense.
We're just about packed for our little trip down to Chiang Mai. We usually only go for one night, but since they're having their annual Art Festival, we decided to stay for two nights and take in the sights. We're also considering a side trip to Hang Dong, the furniture village, to check out some possibilities for the new house.
Speaking of the house, we went over today to go over more details. The roofers were hard at work, in the hot sun. Now we're getting a better picture of what it's going to look like. Among the details, I wanted to make sure that our electrical circuits were grounded properly. The custom here is not to do this, and I don't know why. Our laptops have metal cases and you can 'feel' the current. Not cool. Anyway, I've been assured that this can be solved. We also wanted to make sure that there will be a lightning rod on the roof. There's a lot of electricity flying through the air when it storms up here. I've read many stories of things getting 'fried' during a storm. Our rod will be placed behind the ornamental Kalae, a large wooden fixture that looks like an 'X' but is intricately carved. Bring on the storms.
This week Lisa started giving Boot some lessons on the computer. She really wants to learn how to use it and she's learning fast. We set up an email account for her and she sent me a message today. She teaches us so much about Thai language and culture that it seems only fitting that we teach her things too. It won't be long before she understands why I spend so much time with this thing.
Today's quote was sent to me by my good friend Claire. Thanks a bunch. Everybody have a Fabulous Week.

Peace,
Danny

PS Don't forget to click the ad.


"A friend is one who walks in when others walk out"
~Walter Winchill

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: