Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Goodness

Hi,
In my efforts to describe Sunday's ceremony, I left out a little part. While I was in the pit, after I'd pounded in all 18 stakes, I was given a small box for each footing. The box contained nine stones, meant to represent precious gems. Then I was given some leaves. There were three different kinds and they were placed at the base as well. The meaning of this and the stakes will all be revealed once we get a hold of a certain book and have sections translated. Oh, the mystery continues.
"I heard her talkin' with her friend When she thought nobody else was around. She said, she's got to be __ __,
She must be __ __ " Clue: This song was featured in 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High' (you know you watched it)
So, Sunday evening we returned to the site of the ceremony. The crew had been working all day, pouring concrete, spreading and smoothing and making preparations for the next phases. They had been off for a while, and had been given dinner. We all went up to the back of the property and began to set off the giant balloons. (same ones we used when the land was filled) This time, because there were so many people, they went up, two at a time. It was big fun, organized madness. The groups weren't defined, so we'd set off balloons, watch in wonder and then assemble around the next set in random fashion. After the balloons were all gone, Supat and our foreman call me over to a mound of dirt with a can on top. I thought it was the old 'firecracker in the can' routine, but there was a hole in the top. They handed me a twisted piece of paper, lit it and told me to drop it in the hole. I did, they ran, I waited, I ran. This can set off a fountain of sparks like you've never seen. They must have set off about five of them. Check out the picks of the balloons and the fountains at the Flickr site.
Yesterday (Monday) I went out for an hour and a half with a driving instructor. I wanted to know the 'tricks' of surviving the streets of Chiang Rai. He was kinda stuck on teaching me to drive. (5) I've been driving since before.....
Anyway, once we'd established that I could drive, he directed me to different types of situations. Narrow roads, huge intersections, Super Highway U-Turns, and a very interesting visit to the DMV. The driving test is given on a course, right there at the center. There's a large diagram that you can study before committing. Then he showed me the inspection station where everyone's vehicle is checked once a year. Hmm. They were really checking things out. One line for cars and small trucks, another for motorcycles and the last was for big trucks. Quite impressive, unless you're waiting in line. Then it was into the three story building and up to the top. I was mildly afraid he was going to push me into a room for the test. As it turned out, he wanted to show me the touch-screen machines they use to test. They had a sample machine in the lobby and I did pretty good, for a falang with just a few days on the road. I was a good day.
-Happy Birthday, Lisa-
Today was, as Lisa put it, a red letter day (besides being her B'day). We drove to Big-C. Traffic was light, the lot had no line and we got a parking spot right in front of the door. It doesn't get any better than that. Tonight we're going down on the 'strip', hit the NB and go hear Freddie sing at the Wiang Inn. We know how to party.
I'm off to post more photos. Check them out when you can, and have a Happy Tuesday and a Beautiful Day.

Peace,
Danny



"Treat those who are good with goodness,
and also treat those who are not good with goodness.
Thus goodness is attained.

Be honest to those who are honest,
and be also honest to those who are not honest.
Thus honesty is attained."
~Lao-Tzu

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: