Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Well, as you can see, my little double-space friend is back. Oh well. As our visit draws to a close, we're getting more pics of the construction materials being assembled at The Place. It's on, and we're getting excited. I'll be posting a few in the near future. Next time we come to town, I'm bringing my Airport Extreme so we can get a better signal in our little apartment. For now, I'm just happy to be able to continue.

What a relief to know that a bunch of you knew the song. Lane sent this excellent write up that says it all: "Maybellene" is a song by Chuck Berry that tells the story of a hot rod race and a broken romance. It was released in July 1955 as a single on Chess Records. It was Berry's first single release, and his first hit. "Maybellene" is considered one of the pioneering Rock and Roll singles: Rolling Stone magazine said, "Rock & roll guitar starts here."The record is an early instance of the complete rock and roll package: youthful subject matter, small guitar-driven combo, clear diction, and an atmosphere of unrelenting excitement.

In 1955, the song, a 12-bar blues,peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard rock charts, and was a #1 R&B hit. Chuck was the first African American to reach the top ten on the Billboard list. Now you know. For the weekend, remember this?
"Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong, my own beliefs are in my song. The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then, makes no difference what group I'm in. I am __ __, yeah yeah" Hint: It was a family affair.

Yesterday we went to Venice Beach to get a little something for our friend Supat. The goal was to get something with California on it. We found a cool visor and exercised great restraint and didn't do any 'shopping'. Whew. Oh, there's a guy who sits across from the outdoor restaurant and plays a baby grand piano. Hmm. And, of course the guitar player on roller-blades is still rolling and playing. Yep, no place like it on earth.

I'm going to miss a few things here, like the traffic (Ha) and the cold weather (Ha, Ha) and standing in line. Just kidding. I've noticed a lot of changes though. Like many stores that are gone, restaurants that are closed. I will miss signs that I can read, people who I understand and understand me, and the rainbow of people. We have a rainbow in LOS, but on a different level.

Time to get back to the warm. It's winter at 'home', but it's in the mid 80s. I guess we got used to it all, 'cause it's been cold here, for the whole trip. I've rambled long enough. It's time for the 'Funnies', sent in by my friend Claire. Have a Fabulous WeekEnd and I'll write you from somewhere in the world.

Peace,

Danny

Bumper stickers:

I fish! Therefore, I lie.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Men are proof that women can take a joke.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

I just let my mind wander, and it didn't come back.

If you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk.


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: