Monday, September 24, 2007

Lure

I'm impressed with the number of correct responses to the weekend song. "It Never Rains In Southern California" was a big one for Albert Hammond. Laura wrote with a wonderful 'L.A. Story'.
"I heard a couple sitting at the other end of the counter speaking in Spanish. She had an Argentine accent. So, I started talking.blah blah bla. He is British and lived in Spain and Argentina and now here in LA. (She is a copatriot of mine) When I was leaving I asked their names, Albert and Claudia. VERY nice, unassuming people. She told me that he wrote music, and when I asked if anything I might know, all she said was he wrote and produced music for Julio Iglesias. I got home, I google Julio Iglesias/ ALbert. Well, he IS Albert Hammond and among other songs, he wrote and sang: todays quiz song and "To all the girls I loved" made famous by Willy Nelson. Albert and Claudia and I became friends and we see each other at the restaurant all the time and we e-mail....Funny, huh?" Nothin' like an L.A. Story.
Today's song goes back to another of my favorite musical years. Let's just say it was mid 60s. Here's some lines:
"You don't know how many times I've wished that I could hold you. You don't know how many times I've wished that I could mold you into someone who could __....." Clues: There were six of them, they had a friend named Mary.
We've been real busy today, but first I have to tell you about yesterday. We tried a couple of new spots for food. First, we had lunch at Da Vinci's. Yep, an Italian pasta/pizza joint. The food was so-so, but the trip was, sitting in a Thai run, Italian restaurant, listening to Cuban Jazz. I don't know who was running the sound, but it was jammin'.
For dinner we went to The Golden Triangle Cafe. It's right next to our language school and we read about it. We were the only patrons. Nice little place with a Cookoo clock that actually worked. Our server spoke pretty good English and we had a nice conversation about LOS. While he was telling us about how he chose to live in Chiang Rai, he mentioned a small town to the south. He said that about 2 kilometers from town there was nothing but 'The Kingdom'. I thought that was a rather poetic way to refer to the country side.
Today we went to the house with Third, who had never seen it. There had been some activity around the place. The electrical box had been changed and a lot of clean-up had begun. Khun Surn, our landlord, told us that they had just started today because in Northern culture, today was a lucky day. Well, we was totally right about that. We kept getting more and more info that was right on time. It turns out that his sons all work in the tour biz, Third made a call and found out about cleaning help, we met some lovely neighbors across the street, and the list goes on. We had fun with the 'Lucky Day' theme.
I'll finish this up tomorrow, but I've posted new pics of the house and there's a picture of Lisa with a Peacock that stands at the entrance to the Wangcome dining room. We think it's been here since the founding of Chiang Rai, 720 some years ago. It really looks bad if you get too close. We'll have to give it a nick-name. Hmm.
Have a Great Monday.

Peace,
Danny


"The lure of the distant and the difficult is deceptive.
The great opportunity is where you are."
~John Burroughs


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: