Monday, September 17, 2007

Joy

Hi,
The weekend was a gas. Several trips to Big C, bought a couple of beds, shopped for a tub and cruised the night bazaar. We have a circuit of eating places that we've grown comfortable with, and now we're trying different things on the menus. The other night we began laughing hysterically after reading a menu entry: "Deep fried fluffy cat - fish with mango salad. The word fish was on another line and it just struck us. Hope you cat people don't think we're crazy.
The weekend song was "Boy From New York City" by The Flirtations. Linda pointed out that The Manhattan Transfer also had a hit with the same song. We'll switch gears today and check out a grinding guitar driven oldie you may know:
"I have a mansion but forget the price. Ain't never been there, they tell me its nice. I live in hotels, tear out the walls.
I have accountants pay for it all" Hint: It's Rock & Roll from '78.
So, it's the rainy season, which means it rains. A lot. It usually doesn't last too long, but we did have a heavy downpour on Sunday. It's amazing, watching people out on their motorbikes in the rain. Some are riding with an umbrella over their heads, even though one still gets wet riding into the rain. Hmm. Friday night was kinda wet and I think the night bazaar suffered a bit. Merchants covered up as best they could, but the crowd was light. Saturday night was clear, and the crowd was huge. We noticed an influx of 'falang' (foreigners), not that we're not, but it's not really the tourist season yet. Heard many different languages as we strolled about.
Every night there's a small group that plays traditional instruments on the original stage. Sometimes, between sets, there are dance students who do a number, dressed in traditional outfits. The other night, after all the regulars finished, there was a guy doing a voice and guitar set, in English. He asked me where I was from and when I told him 'America', he flipped through his songbook and sang "San Francisco" (as in 'if you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear...) Cracked me up. I felt like such a tourist.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I finally got my Flickr site up, so I proudly present thousands of words at: www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics I'll probably post the pics of the house this week. Hope you start to get a feel for what we've been seeing. I'll add more on a regular basis.
Have a Wonderfilled Week.

Peace,
Danny

"Recognize joy when it arrives in the plain brown
wrappings of everyday life."
~Judith Viorst


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

No comments: