Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday Funnies

Hi,
Well, we did pretty good with "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles. This weekend will have you humming another old favorite: "Ooh wah, ooh wah, cool cool kitty. Tell us about the __ __ __ __ __." (of course, it repeats) Hint: There's an eastern city in the title. It's an oldie.
Meanwhile, back in Chiang Mai, it was raining, it was rush-hour, and the streets were full of people. We were on our way to the City Shopping Center. It's a giant five story shoppers paradise. You could probably live in there if you were crafty enough. Not only were there the usual clothing shops, and the chains we're familiar with, but things uniquely Thai. There was one floor that was mostly tech stuff. Phones, TVs, and a place called I.T. City. I got a modem for our new connection at Pui's urging. Joyce got her hair washed while Lisa got her toes done, while I got email connected to my phone, while Pui and Nut priced computers. That was all on one floor. On the upper level, Lisa found a book store with a map book that had the closest thing to a detailed street map of Chiang Rai. There was a huge arcade, full of video games and who knows what else, and tons of teens.
We left the mall and found the weather had cleared. After driving in more traffic, we found ourselves out on the highway. We weren't going home yet. It was time for dinner. As the car pulled off the road, we were presented with what appeared to be a giant dome, with the sides open. A police type guy guided us to a parking space and opened the doors. Exotic wonderland is one way to describe this place. In the center of the dome was a big pond, with a waterfall and lots of plants. Around this were tables for dining. Our table was at the edge of the dome, next to what appeared to be a river, with a beautiful waterfall across from us. Oh, magical is another word. While we waited for dinner, the women went off to the 'ladies room'. Pui suggested I do the same, to the men's. I said I didn't need to go. When the women returned, they were like, 'you have to go check it out'. So I went. I'll just say, the landscape artist was given permission to plant everywhere. Every stall had a tree and plants. The walls looked like a cave, with vines and things. The sink was a botanical thing of beauty. We managed to get a few pictures that I'll post on the page I've been promising. And the food was some of the best we've had so far. Can't wait to go back.
The trip back was dark. I think I stayed awake for most of it. Pui and Nut talked the whole time, which was comforting. Knowing the driver is awake is a good thing. It was interesting to see the same little roadside villages that had been bustling during the day, all rolled up and sound asleep as we made our way home.
Today was fairly laid back. We walked to the main Police Station with Joyce, to find out more about the area we're moving to. We were told that there was 'no problem' there, that we'd be Ok. After lunch we checked out a language school with a good reputation, returned to the hotel, watched a movie and napped. Tonight it rained so we basically stayed inside. Tomorrow, who knows?
It's time for the 'Funnies', sent some time ago by Cousin Trudye. Have a Fantastic WeekEnd.

Peace,
Danny


Couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things.
During a checkup, the doctor tells them that they're physically okay,
but they might want to start writing things down to help them
remember. Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up
from his chair. "Want anything while I'm in the kitchen?" he asks.
"Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?"
"Sure."
"Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" she asks.
"No, I can remember it."
"Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. Maybe you should write
it down, so's not to forget it?"
He says, "I can remember that. You want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries."
"I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, write it
down?" she asks.
Irritated, he says, "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it!
Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for goodness
sake!" Then he toddles into the kitchen.
After about 20 minutes, the old man returns from the kitchen and hands
his wife a plate of bacon and eggs.
She stares at the plate for a moment.
"Where's my toast?"


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

No comments: