Thursday, December 26, 2019

Wealth

Hi,

We woke up to a very cold morning.  The morning news told us the rain would begin this evening and that’s exactly what it did.  Oh yes, it’s raining, on the wrong side of the world as far as we’re concerned, but raining none the less.

The ‘Zany Day’ song this week means more when you’re a kid, but I’m sure you have a memory about this.
“It seems so long since I could say, ‘Sister, Suzy sitting on a thistle.  Every time I try to speak huh, all I do is whistle.’  __ __ __ __ __ (__ __ __ __ __), __ __ __ __, __ __ __ __.  Gee if I could only have __ __ __ __ then I could wish you a Merry Christmas.”  Clue:  It’s about a right of passage most children go through.  Think: Gap, read the lyrics (5).

Christmas morning with the family was lots of fun.  Not only were there cinnamon rolls, turkey bacon and eggs, but there was one of the most creative Santas on the planet.  What, you thought there was only one?  Nah!  Anyway, I was reminded of so many morning with my mother, passing out gifts and wondering ‘where does she find this stuff?’.  Anna got me something this year that will go down in the books as a real ‘keeper’.  This T-shirt says it all:


If you don’t know ‘who’ they are, don’t bother asking a kid, ask an older person (555).

Khun Lag grabbed us by the collar in the early afternoon and just like that, two hours of the day were gone.  It’s not like we don’t take naps at home, but this lag thing feels so helpless.  It’s almost 10pm and it’s about to happen again.  We struggle to stay awake, trying to avoid the ‘early morning call’.  Lisa got the call around 3:15am yesterday, mine came a little later.  Speaking of waking up, JaiDee has been waking up at 6am and that’s great news.  Natcha has been keeping track of the time and it’s being pretty consistent.  She’s been sending us photos and he looks happy.  

In the evening we went out into the world.  With the destination of a giant grocery store, we found some missing kitchen ingredients and a few vitamins we didn’t bring.  The streets were quite empty and it seemed like the middle of the night, but it was only 6:30pm.  We drove down some streets with big light displays of Santas, and other holiday themes and then decided to see if Del Taco was open.  They were and we did (555).

This morning I’m going to the DMV to get a new Driver License.  I was due to get it the last time we were here, but with my back issues and the very long lines, and no appointments, I had to skip the renewal.  This time I found a company that will sit in line for you, so you get in early and take care of business.  My evening was spent filling out the online application and being double verified, identified and scrutinized.  This morning I will meet my ‘connection’ before 7:45am, wait for the opening, present a number and begin the process.  Now ask me if I’m looking forward to any of it.  

Last night we were talking about weather, and how cold it’s been at 45°F in Chiang Rai and Culver City.  Then August casually mentioned that he’s been living in 20°F in Hartford, Connecticut, where he’s going to college.  He even showed us photos of the snow on the campus.  Brrr.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                          Peace,
                                    Danny

“The only wealth which you
will keep forever is the wealth
you have already given away.”
~Marcus Aurelius

No comments: