Monday, October 8, 2018

Help

Hi.

It’s good to be back in Chiang Rai.  Today is was the usual ‘hot’, but no rain.  I’m OK with that.  Gong washed the van while we were gone and it will be nice to drive a clean vehicle for a few days (555).

The ‘Old School Friday' song was “Memphis, Tennessee” by Chuck Berry.  Here’s an ‘Easy Monday’ you all know:
“When you’re down and troubled, and you need a helping hand and nothing, whoa, nothing is going right.  Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there, to brighten up even your darkest nights.  You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I’ll come running, oh yeah baby, to see you again.  Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you got to do is call and I’ll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.  __ __ __ __.”  Hint:  This song was made popular by the writer and also by a close friend.  Either name will do, just don’t forget the title (5).

Our Saturday in Bangkok was great.  James and Nita took us to their gym, which was a unique experience.  To begin with, it was clean, the equipment was fairly new, the staff was helpful, and there were towels, water, and coffee provided.  Yeah, I could live there.  We watched a small group of people in one of the studios as they learned how to use what can best be described as slings made of cloth.  They would hang in different positions, wind them around themselves and do mid-air workouts.  The upside down pose looked really cool.  I managed to get in a good workout and not hurt myself.  You know it was good when you reach that ‘zone’, light and a little spacey.  

After our workout, Khun Boonrit took us back to the house to change.  Then it was back to the same complex to pick a place to eat lunch.  There were many possibilities in a small area.  After lunch we went to a place called Villa Market.  They have many things we can’t get in Chiang Rai.  A lot of the items are imported, which makes them more expensive than our usual shopping, but Saturday I got a can of cream soda.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in Chiang Rai.  We didn’t get much because taking it home on the plane gets tricky with weight and space.  It’s fun to go in and see what is there and know that it’s real (5).  

In the evening, James BBQ’d chicken, Nita made a salad and we had another great evening of food and conversation.  After dinner we all hung out in their upstairs den and watched a movie.  We closed the weekend with a Sunday morning treatment from Juan, the osteopath, who did some great work on my neck and showed me a few tricks to put things in ‘relaxation mode’.  

A tranquil setting, too cold for swimming, but still relaxing.


It is now possible to avoid long lines at the airport by simply telling the attendants my age.  Bangkok Air boarded us ahead of the crush just by mentioning that it was hard for me to stand in long lines.  Today, at lunch with our friend Sutheera, we learned that the Chiang Rai mall has designated parking near the entrance for seniors.  As populations get older, it makes sense to honor the presence of the ‘older’ folks.  I just have to remember not to walk too briskly (555).

While we were in Bangkok, little Nitchanan went to the stairs on several occasions and called up to us.  Natcha tried to explain to her that we were not at home.  It’s nice to be missed.

Have a Great Week.

                        Peace,
                                  Danny

“If you can, help others; if you
cannot do that, at least do not
harm them.”
~Dalai Lama

No comments: