Thursday, February 12, 2015

Art

Hi,

Here in Thailand it’s February 12 and that means it’s my birthday.  By the time some of you read this it will be the 12th where you are.  I had a lovely day and I’m perfectly fine with celebrating it for another couple of days.

A few of you remembered this ‘Zany Day’ song.  This verse gives away a little more about the title.
“Well, I’m not the world’s most physical guy, but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine, oh my
__, lo lo lo lo __.  Well, I’m not dumb but I can’t understand why she walks like a woman and talks like a man, oh my __, lo lo lo lo __, lo lo lo lo __….”  Hint:  One word, two syllables, first one is mentioned many times.  Easy. 

Today began like most days.  Get up, go outside with Daku after his breakfast and walk the yard, then help with the breakfast for the humans.  My first surprise was gifts from Blue.  We have a running joke about the logo for Mae Farluang University, which is "MFU" so he got me this cool jacket from the campus bookstore, plus a couple of school polo shirts.  When I finally got upstairs and looked at my email, he had made a great greeting card and it was waiting in my inbox, along with one from my brother.  A little later a real card appeared on my keyboard from Lisa.  Inside was a beautiful stone pendant.  My day was complete.  We spent the morning around the house, Lisa painting and me researching various things on my computer.  

After lunch we got a call from our friend Katai, from Work@Home.  She and her husband Thovan were at the gate with a gift.  They brought a gorgeous bouquet of red and orange flowers.  They had never met Daku so today was the day.  It was love at first sight.  Towan greeted Daku as he came down the stairs and that was all he needed to get fired up.  When they left, Towan told Daku he would miss him.  They plan to get another Golden Retriever in the near future.

It was my birthday and I was given an offer I couldn’t refuse.  Yes, I’d love to go to the mall and look for something I’d like.  What?  Lisa, Blue and I went to Central Plaza and I started at the Apple Store.  Then we went to Banana, another electronic store, and back to Apple where I found a cool device for my phone.  Today was a good day.

This evening we went to 9 Art Gallery for the opening of an exhibit featuring 9 artists.  It was like ‘old home week’, with all of the core artists there in full force.  The artwork was quite varied style wise, and overall we enjoyed the paintings.  We had lots of conversations with our friends, many of whom were also working on finishing their elephants by the due date.  There was a band set up, but during the time we were there just the lead singer held court.  This older gentleman in a cowboy hat sang a medley of Elvis songs in English with lots of drama.  As we were leaving he was singing ‘Besame Mucho’ with all his heart.  

On the way to the art exhibit we stopped at the roadside stand near our house that sells eggs.  Lisa brought a ‘bag of eggs’ and it struck me that many of you have probably never seen such a sight.  Today’s photo is how eggs are sold on the street.


Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                  Peace,
                            Danny

“Look, art knows no prejudice, art knows 
no boundaries, art doesn’t really have judgement
in it’s purest form.  So just go, just go.”
~K.D. Lang

No comments: