Sunday, January 11, 2015

Curtains - Do not open until Monday morning

Hi,

As I write this, it’s actually Sunday night and we’re sitting in the Star Alliance lounge at LAX.  It’s the nicest lounge in our journey and it’s busy right now.  If I didn’t send you this little message, you would not hear from me until Tuesday, and that would not be OK.  Some of you were maybe hoping for a break?  (555)

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “My Guy” by Mary Wells.  Now it’s time for ‘Easy Monday’.  “__,__ so good to me.  __ morning, it was all I hoped it would be.  Oh, __ morning, __ morning couldn’t guarantee that __ evening you would still be here with me.”  Hint:  If you opened this message as directed, on the correct day, then you know half of the title of this song.  

The weekend was a combination of busy and mellow.  We finally finished the last of the lists.  It’s amazing that even though we’ve been doing this for years, it’s never exactly the same and there’s always something to look for before we return to Thailand.  

Sunday morning was a real treat.  Lisa and my mother Jean gave me my last cake at the Gratitude meeting, celebrating 25 years.  Then we had lunch in the Marina.  It was a very special time since it also marked 25 years of this little ritual.  

In the afternoon I experienced another form of culture shock.  I went to Best Buy to buy a new electric razor.  It’s been years since I set foot in the store of distraction.  Somehow, it looked like they managed to get more stuff in the same space.  Hmm, I guess that’s possible.  I forced myself to focus on the mission, though I did get a little sidetracked as I passed the cases for my new phone.  I found a razor similar to my current one, which is now obsolete.  There were so many variations on the theme of rotary haircutting devices.  I quickly made my way to the cashier and left with my sanity.

After the bags were packed we hung out with Jeff, Anna, C-Bass and August.  Mr. August showed me a guitar speaker cabinet he rebuilt.  Jeff and I discussed music stuff, and C-Bass and I had a deep talk about how American football really should be called Gridiron, like it is in Australia.  Anna and I had our familiar banter about my intestinal shortcomings.  When it was time to go we had lots of hugs and said farewell once again.

Today’s photo was taken at The Legend Resort in Chiang Rai.  This is one of the tallest Spirit Houses in town, and unique in it’s paint motif.


We board the plane for the first leg of our journey in 30 minutes.  Time to pack things up.  See you from the other side of the Pacific.

Have a Great Week,

             Peace,
                       Danny

“Open the curtains of your mind.  
If there is light outside, it will come in.
If there is light inside, it will go out.
Keep the curtains open.”
~Unknown

No comments: