Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Look

Hi,

Another gorgeous day in Northern Thailand.  We pondered new works at Art Bridge, and new food at Makro. Today was 'I'm in my own world' day, all over town.   

The 'Easy Monday' song was "Blackbird" by The Beatles.  The song was inspired by the civil rights struggle in Arkansas.  Now it's time for your favorite:  The 'Zany Day' song (555).  "If the sun refused to shine, I don't mind, I don't mind.  If the mountains fell in the sea, let it be, it ain't me.  Got my own world to live through and I ain't gonna copy you."  Hint: Title is 2 words and 2 numbers (which can be considered words).  It's zany in that it asked a question that cannot be answered.  Don't get caught up in the purple haze of it all.

I sensed something as we left the house this morning on our way to Art Bridge.  Motorbikes were drifting into my lane as if I wasn't there.  Vans were rushing up from behind, flashing their lights to push me aside.  Those were the first signs that it was 'In my own world' day.  

The new exhibit at Art Bridge has works by Thai and German artists.  Several of the Thai artists studied in Europe and it was clear that they had moved away from the traditional themes.  Things in this exhibit are much more abstract.  There is an video installation in a separate room that I really enjoyed.  The artist appears to be sneaking into a major gallery, dressed in overalls that are the same color as the walls.  He pulls out a small painting and holds it in front of his face as he stands against the wall, as if his piece is part of the exhibit.  I don't think he could really get away with it, but it's a great 'art piece' just the same.
 

Since Makro is across the highway from Art Bridge we decided to get our food shopping done.  I was once again made aware of the theme for the day.  A guy in a rush whizzed by pushing a cart, then a man stood in the middle of an aisle I was trying to use, a group of employees began moving big forklifts as if I weren't there.  That's when we realized it was time to go home.  Lisa came up with the name of the day as we encountered yet another vehicle drifting into our lane.  It was a productive morning even with the madness.

In our travels around the area, we see lots of construction sites.  Rarely is there a sign that tells us what it will be.  We just have to wait until it starts to take shape.  Today we saw a large corner structure that actually looks like something.  For weeks it was just a lot of concrete pilings and bare bricks.  Now it seems to be a collection of three-story shophouses.  In another part of town we saw what looked like shophouses evolve into condos.  That seems to be the growing trend here.  Hmm, waiting for the future can be taxing.

Time for a Wacky Wednesday.

                Peace,
                          Danny

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
~John Lubbock

No comments: