Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Seek


Hi,

Today was one of those days when we wanted it to rain a little to water the yard.  I guess you don't miss the rain 'til the lawn gets dry.  (555)  We had another quiet day at the Big Brown House.  

How cool that some of you remembered the 'Easy Monday' song.  Here's the second verse of this plea for help:
"She was gonna be my wife and I was gonna be her man.  But she let another guy come between us and it ruined our plan.  Well, __ you caught my eye (caught my eye) and I can give you lotsa reasons why, you gotta __ __ __, help me get her out of my heart.   Hint:  California girls in T-Birds know when the surf's up.  That should tell you the group.  The rest is easy. 

One of the things that I like about living on what is, for the time being, the edge of town is that there are still aspects of traditional life everywhere we look.  It is still possible to watch people pick edible leaves from bushes along the roadside.  There are many familiar faces that walk or bicycle around the neighborhood, and there are characters that seem like they are from another era, like the old woman who always has a big stick in one hand and a bag over her shoulder.  She covers a lot of territory and seems to be self-sufficient.  The people who live down the road from us have primitive dwellings hidden from traffic and they seem to be content.  Amazing Thailand.

I now know the difference between a kayak and a canoe and have great respect for the rowers of both.  Last night the question came up as to why the 'Steeple Chase' is called that.  I think it should be called 'Hurdle and Splash' since that's basically what happens.  We've been doing pretty well at catching the events that we're interested in even though there is no schedule to refer to.  There are up to seven channels to keep tabs on at any given time and often we'll end up watching something that wasn't in the plan.  I still have little interest in handball, field hockey, and I can only watch bits of the indoor cycling.  There is a great interest in badminton and table tennis in Asia, so they broadcast all of the matches.  Hmm.  Tonight we finally get to see some synchronized swimming.  What?  Yeah, it's pretty cool when you realize what they're doing.  Hmm, do swimmers sweat in the water?

There was another amazing float in the parade last Saturday that I thought you might enjoy seeing.  Remember, all of the major elements are made from carved wax.

                                A Coiled Dragon

Have a Happy Tuesday.

                       Peace,
                                  Danny

"Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us
the tranquility and happiness we all seek."
~The Dalai Lama

No comments: