Thursday, August 23, 2012

Love & Compassion


Hi,

The weather pattern continues here in Chiang Rai.  Last nights storm was a heavy one, but today was bright and warm. We've heard grumblings of thunder in the distance, but so far it's dry.  I spent the morning at Big C and the veggie market.  

I may have gone way back for this one, but some of you knew it.  It's a fun song about early TV.  Here's a bit more:
"I call my baby on the telephone to tell her half my head was gone.  I just got hit by a great big brick, she says 'thanks for reminding me it's time for Maverick'.  Ah um, my baby loves __ __, my baby love __ __..."  Clue:  If you look at the titles of the shows his 'baby' is watching you will see a trend.  

When I took the dogs out this morning I could tell how hard it had rained by the 'water line' around part of the yard. There are always grass clippings that float up to the surface when the lawn floods.  Last night was a big one.  The dogs did their best on the soggy lawn, but it's not the same fun.  BamBam got a 'time out' for bad behavior.  She has never really understood the concept of play.  She has her good days, but is often distracted by the slightest thing and will not return with the ball.  She just romps off to investigate a moving leaf or a lizard, or to chase birds.  All this with the ball in her mouth.  Daku is a dedicated player.  If he's in the mood, he will fetch and return the ball over and over until he's tired.  Then he wants to play catch.  Today he did pretty good.

I made a solo run to Big C since Lisa was a little under the weather.  With a moderate shopping list and managed to find most of the things.  Since the highway is so chaotic these days it's easier to go to Big C than Macro.  My next stop was the vegetable market and that's always fun.  I don't know what it is, but seeing all the activity and the different vendors tending to their produce is a fascinating thing.  Many of them have the same vegetables, but from different farms.  There are some who have great bell peppers, but ugly greens.  Over time you begin to know who to go to for which item.  

I stopped by the fruit lady to see if she had any mangos but they seem to be out of season.  After picking up a bunch of flowers to add some sunshine to Lisa's day, I headed out of the complex of flowers, fruits, and vegetables and as I turned the corner I saw a photo opportunity that caused me to park the car.  Thai people love their pets and dogs are major pet players here.  Dogs are very adaptable animals and here in Thailand you will see them riding on the floorboards of motorbikes, sitting on the back of the seat, just like they are human.  Today's dog takes the cake. 

                                  Biker Dog

We read an article in the Chiang Rai Times about a conference of teachers that will be held on Monday at Maefarluang University.  Over 2000 teachers (4000 people if you include families) will be involved and the impact on traffic in Chiang Rai will be intense.  We have some alternate routes, but apparently some of them will be staying at a major hotel not far from us, and many will be scattered about town in smaller hotels.  I think staying at home sounds like a plan.  It's good for Chiang Rai and its small businesses.  This is just a taste of what is to come.  As more government sponsored meetings and conferences are held here, the awareness of what a wonderful place it is will bring even more visitors.  It's becoming a 'Boom Town'.  

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                  Peace,
                             Danny

"Love and compassion are the true religions to me,
but to develop this, you do not need any religion."
~His Holiness, The Dalai Lama

No comments: