Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Funnies


Hi,

Let me just say that we didn't have to water the yard today.  After last night's storm and today's lunchtime downpour, things are pretty wet.  We had lunch with a friend and drove out to the countryside.

That 'Zany Day' song was "School Days" by Chuck Berry.  Get ready 'cause here comes 'Old School Friday'.  This one should be easy, maybe even for 'the kids' out there:  You're __ __ __ __, but I still have your love to remember you by.  Oh my darling, dry your eyes.  Daddy's coming home soon."  Hint:  In some cases you milage may very.  Just a heartbeat away...

Today our friend Atom came over for lunch.  We had fun talking about Thai and Korean soap operas.  We don't watch them, though I've seen a few episodes while waiting in various shops.  It brought back a memory of when we went to Chiang Mai a few years ago and happened to go to the Night Bazaar on the final night of a long-running Thai soap.  Everyone on the street was glued to a screen, watching the final conclusion.  Young men were watching on cellphones, women were huddled around small TV screens and it was being shown in all the bars.  The vendors were not interested in the shoppers at all.  

This afternoon I went out to New Life Foundation for my weekly visit.  On my way back to town I noticed women carrying bowls and baskets.  They had been collecting alms to take to their temples in honor of Mother Day which will be celebrated on August 12.  It is the day that Thai people honor Queen Sirikit's birthday, and also pay tribute to mothers.  She is considered the mother of all Thai people, and is loved for her benevolence and good will.  Her picture is all over town, and in temples there will be candle lighting ceremonies wishing her long life.  Tatt told us that today at school they assembled and sang a song in her honor.  It is also a time when people who live away from their mothers will return home to visit and give thanks.  

When I returned to Chiang Rai I stopped off at the 'Salon' and had my Mohawk narrowed a bit.  They're still getting used to cutting my hair, but with a little more 'training' I think we can find the groove.  Next time I'll be sure to take my earphones for the wait.  Today I overdosed on Whitney Houston and Celine Dion.  Oh my.

There is a recycling center a few villages from us and every now and then we see trucks full of cardboard or plastic bottles.  Today I came upon a Samlor that was loaded down with cans and other objects.  It must have been a heavy load because the man who was peddling was going very slow. 

                      Samlor with a load

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.    Now it's time for the 'Funnies'.

                     Peace,
                                Danny

Small Town Sheriff

In one small rural town the sheriff also fulfilled the role of the
town's veterinarian. One night the phone rang. The sheriff's wife
answered.

An agitated voice inquired, "Is your husband there?"

"Well, do you need him as the sheriff or the vet?" the wife asked.

"Both," came the reply. "We can't get our dog's mouth open, and
there's a burglar in it!"

No comments: