Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Funnies


Hi,

Our busy Friday is winding down but we're still reeling from the day.  The weather stayed dry for most of it, so the parade and the planting went without a hitch.  I had success at the salon and I like my new head.

That 'Zany Day' song was "School's Out" by Alice Cooper, a great summer song.  'Old School Friday' is an easy one:
"__ __ __ __ __, I been down since I began to crawl.  If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all.  Hard luck and trouble is my only friend.  I been on my own ever since I was ten.  __ __ __ __ __, I been down since I began to crawl..."  Hint: Someone's had a bad day for a long time.  It's a blues and you should know this one.  It's by a king, not Elvis (555). 

We began our morning a little earlier than usual and condensed the routine in order to be at the parade staging area by 8am.  We arrived and discovered that it probably wouldn't start until 8:30.  That gave us a chance to take lots of photos and have our picture taken with Tatt.  One of the teachers came over and offered to take our picture by an antique carriage that would lead the parade.  After that we led him over to where Tatt was standing and we got a nice picture.  There was a marching band from another high school consisting of brass and drums.  The kids marched to a high school in the middle of town, about one kilometer away.  This evening we asked Tatt if his friends were curious as to who we were.  He smiled and said he told them we were his aunt and uncle.  We have noticed that Thai people often refer to close relationships as 'family members'.

Once the parade was headed down the street we went back to the house and jumped into Khun Kek's pick-up truck for our plant shopping adventure.   The garden center is a huge area of land with plots laid out like a neighborhood.
Some vendors sell ground covering, some have mid-size trees, others have flowering bushes.  Kek parked at the beginning of one 'street' and we walked through, picking out things we liked.  Once a choice was made we moved on to the next.  A few owners were not in yet so Kek would call them for a price and a neighboring vendor would handle the transaction.  It's like a community, all working together.  When we had reached the end we walked back to the truck and drove through, picking up our new plants.  We came home with a variety of things and they were immediately planted.  There are now some new personalities in the yards.

After lunch I went to the 'salon' to get my new 'do' styled.  Fortunately, they weren't busy and I got one of the more experienced stylists.  He knew a few key words of English and I had a few key Thai words so we could communicate.  He shaped the front differently than I had imagined, but it was cool.  I was surprised at the way he approached my hair, cutting it like he'd cut Thai hair.  It worked, and he was able to even things out.  Did you know that what is referred to as a Mohawk was the traditional haircut for the warriors of the Mandinka tribe in Western Africa?

                              The New Look

Out in the country, at New Life Foundation I received some kind words of appreciation from some clients and that was the icing on a beautiful day.  When I got home there was sun over the pool so we went for an overdue swim.  The Adventure continues.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.      And now, the 'Funnies'.

                     Peace,
                                Danny


Test from a student who received 0%

In which battle did Napoleon die?
~ his last battle

Where was the Declaration of Independence signed?
~ at the bottom of the page

The River Ravi flows in which state?
~ liquid

What is the main reason for divorce?
~ marriage

What is the reason for failure?
~ exams

If it took eight men 10 hours to build a wall, how long will it take 4 men to build it?
~ no time at all, the wall is already built

How do you drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it?
~ any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

No comments: