Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dance


Hi,

It was a beautiful day in Chiang Rai.  We had the usual clouds and warmth.  There was thunder in the afternoon, but no rain.  A busy morning in town was the order of the day.

Answers to the 'Easy Monday' song came quick.  It's sung by a group from across the pond.  "I've taken my bows, and my curtain calls.  You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it.  I thank you all, but it's been no bed of roses, no pleasure cruise.  I consider it a challenge before the whole human race and I ain't gonna lose.  __ __ __ __ my friends, and we'll keep on fighting till the end.  __ __ __ __, __ __ __ __.  No time for losers 'cause __ __ __ __ of the world."  Hint:  Are you kidding me?

Today's adventures began with a stop at the beauty supply store and then the 'salon'.  I needed to have my new haircut evened up and shaped a bit more.  The same guy who worked on it was in the shop and spent time getting it the way I wanted it, at no charge.  Now, when I go back I think we'll be on the same page as to how it should look.  

Down on Bus Station street we paid a visit to our friend Atom, who just returned from six months in China.  She's been studying Chinese in Beijing.  

The big news this week in Chiang Rai is the arrival of 'metered taxis'.  The first half of the fleet is on the street and the reaction that we've heard seems to be positive.  The brand new Toyota Corollas are painted yellow and blue and the rates are very reasonable.  When you consider that the only way to get around without a car has been to ride in a Tuk-Tuk, Song Teaw (a tiny pick-up) or a Samlor, this will be an important addition to the transportation options not only for visitors, but for locals.  There will be a total of 50 taxis when they all get here and judging from the various conferences on tourism that are being held in Chiang Rai, more people will be coming to our town in the future.

At Big C I learned something new.  In the men's clothing department I was looking for a loose fitting, light cotton shirt.  One of the things I've had to get used to is the sizing of things.  There is something here called 'free size', which means that it's kind of an average size.  Today I learned that there is an 'FF' meaning it's a bigger 'F'.  Oh, I did not know that, but I bought one.  (555)  

Imagine you are driving down a quiet, country road looking out at the scenery and then you come upon this sight:

 It's actually a creation of Tawd, the artist/frame maker

For our afternoon swim, the water temperature in the pool was decidedly warmer today.  It was at that level where you can lounge in the water and not feel a chill.  Lisa dubbed it 'Party water' since swimming parties are usually spent just hanging out in the water.  Actually, we need to have a party since we have recently acquired about 5 liters of Coca-Cola from the good people at Makro.  There is something we buy that entitles us to 2 bottles of free Coke.  Hmm, how about some grape juice instead?  Anyway, next time you're in the neighborhood, just give us a call.  (Ha)

Have a Happy Tuesday.

                   Peace,
                              Danny 

"Dance to the music of your heart and
the audience will surely applaud."
~Unknown

No comments: