Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Funnies

Hi,

It was a warm day in Chiang Mai. We did a little riding, a little walking, and did all the work to prepare the exhibit.

The 'Wild Card' song was "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago. It refers to the time as in minutes before 4am. 'Old School Friday' is next, with a song from one of the most prolific writers of early Rock & Roll. "As I was Motivatin' over the hill, I saw __ in a Coup de Ville. A Cadillac a-rollin' on the open road, nothin' will outrun my V8 Ford. The Cadillac doin' 'bout ninety-five, she's bumper to bumper rollin' side by side. __, why can't you be true? Oh, __, why can't you be true. You've started back doin' the things you used to do." Hint: The one word is a woman's name.

Being a stranger in the big city can be a little intimidating sometimes. Today I drove to the gallery, following some misdirection. We finally called and got the specifics. The gallery space at Sangdee Gallery and Cafe is really nice. The 30 cast acrylic prints fit perfectly. Two men from the gallery helped us hang the work once we knew where we wanted each piece to go. Lisa and Jaffee tried different arrangements with a little help from me in the peanut gallery. We had to unwrap each item and then figure out placement. Everything was hung before 2pm. We took a break and returned late in the afternoon to finish labeling each one with stickers on the walls.

Before we went back to the gallery we went to the old Central shopping center next door to our hotel. I noticed a Tuk-Tuk pulling in loaded with musical equipment. A little later I heard some tuning from a guitar and got curious. I followed the sound to a staircase leading into the building. There, sitting against the wall, were four blind musicians. They played bass, guitar, a single drum, and a guy with various percussion. They started to play and the lead singer had a beautiful voice. I watched as people came down the stairs, their faces lighting up when they saw the musicians. They would pause and dig out some change to put in their tip box. I took a few photos and it was time to go. When we got back to the hotel there was a very young woman sitting in the lobby playing a traditional instrument that resembled a hammered dulcimer. It was a musical afternoon.

I left Lisa and Jaffee at the gallery and headed out to find a Tuk-Tuk to take me to a meeting on the other side of town. I walked down a long street, hoping one would pass by but no Tuk-Tuks came by. I kept walking with the knowledge that I would soon come to a major intersection. When I got there I hailed down several truck taxis but they were unwilling to take me to my destination. I finally spotted a Tuk-Tuk dropping off a fare and made a deal to take me to the meeting. Life in the big city.

After the meeting I went to dinner with a friend. We went to a place that's owned by an American from Chicago. Very nice restaurant with very good food. Since my friend is a regular there we got extra portions. Hmm. It's been a full day.

Tomorrow is the art exhibit. Everything is in place, the presenter has confirmed that he'll be there and we definitely have guests coming.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd. Time for some 'Funnies' sent to me by our friend Claire.

Peace,
Danny

Boat Names That Bring a Smile

Anger Management

Knot Working

No Kids Tuition

Luna Sea

Called In Sick

Hell Froze Over

Lotawatta


No comments: